NI Labs

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome to EtherNet/IP Driver for Communication to Allen Bradley ControlLogix PLCs

Alberto,

My guess is your syntax of the PLC address is incorrect. The syntax is generally <PLC IP address>,<backplane port number>,<Logix slot number>. I looked up the CIP extended status code in RSLogix5000 and it maps to "Port not available" (note that these extended codes are device-specific, but most likely common across most Rockwell devices). If I change the address I am using from x.x.x.x,1,0 to x.x.x.x,8,0 I see the same 0x311 extended status code.

Can you describe your PLC configuration (type, slot layout) and what the address string you are using to address it is?

Thanks,
Eric 

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 193
(36,480 Views)

Hi I have a similar issues to Alberto,...

Error -251723760 occurred at EthernetIP Tag Read DINT.vi;
Details: CIP Error - Extended status may be available
CIP Generic Status: 0x4

My Backplane is a 1756-A13

Slot zero:  1756-L64

Slot one: 1756-ENBT/A

Slot two Thru five: 1756-DNB

slot six: 1756-CNB/E

slot seven: 1756-DHRIO

remaining slots unpopulated as yet.

Also can you elaborate on the tag structure, maybe its just me but the description in the help file leaves it a little too unclear as to how to build it up.ie, referencing a controller tag, compared to a task (program) tag etc. perhaps an example of an actual tag that you are referencing.

cheers

Martin.

"sure there is more than one way to skin a cat, but a cat can only be skinned once."
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 193
(36,270 Views)

Martin,

The error 0x04 you are getting seems to mean an IOI syntax error on your tag name. This is different from an error addressing the PLC because it is the tag name that is incorrect rather than the address.

In general, the tag name is exactally what you see in RSLogix5000. Any controller tags you create show up in the "Controller Tags" spreadsheet. My understanding is that the only difference between program tags and controller tags is scope. Only controller tags can be accessed externally from the PLC though.  If the datatype can be expanded then RSLogix shows you the sytax for accessing the sub-elements.

If I add a controller tag called "TestArray" that is a DINT[3] array type in RSLogix, I can access it the following ways:

-By "TestArray" - Gets/Set the array of 1-3 elements, depending on the count parameter

-By "TestArray[N]" (where N is an index) - Gets/Sets the array starting at offset N

-By "TestArray[N].0" - Gets/Sets an individual BOOL bit of the DINT at offset N

Hope this helps,

Eric 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 193
(36,266 Views)

Thanks Eric, Nail on the head stuff there.

It seems i can read and write at the controller level with no problems but i cant access program tags...

Cheers

Martin

"sure there is more than one way to skin a cat, but a cat can only be skinned once."
Message 14 of 193
(36,258 Views)

Hello,

I am having a problem writing information from my Vision Builder 3.6 application to my RSLogix5000.  I have loaded the E/IP add-on to the Vision builder to write to tags but when I try to write to the tag it gives me an "invalid tag name".  Even though loaded the tag names from an export file .l5k.  These tags are also controller tags not program tags.

Adam

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 193
(36,216 Views)

Adam,

It would be helpful if you could attach screenshots showing your tags list in RSLogix as well as the EN/IP configuration screen in VBAI. It sounds like a configuration issue.

-Eric 

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 193
(36,212 Views)

Eric,

Here are the images that you wanted to see.

Adam

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 193
(36,210 Views)

Can you add a screenshot showing the tags in RSLogix?

-Eric 

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 193
(36,209 Views)

Adam,

It looks like you're using a different version of RSlogix than me (15.01), so I'm not sure what some of the checkboxes in the leftmost column are for. However, it does look like those tags should be accessible and their configuration appears  to match how you have them configured in Vision Builder AI.

One thing I noticed that is likely an issue is that the network address is probably not correct. It should be more than just an IP address as the addressing needs to point to the CPU module hosting the tag. If you click the help button while in the step you should get a description of how that field should be populated:

In the Network Path control, enter the path to the target. The syntax for a simple system is <PLC address>,<backplane port number>,<Logix slot number>. For example, 10.0.0.1,1,0 is the routing path for a ControlLogix 5561 with IP address 10.0.0.1 and with the processor in slot 0 of an AB-1756 4-slot backplane.

In the next version of Vision Builder this step's inputs should be a little more clear.

Eric 

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 193
(36,203 Views)