NI Labs Toolkits

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NeuroSky LabVIEW Driver

NeuroSky Brain Computer Interface

NeuroSky is a company that develops low cost easy to use ASICs for acquiring electroencephalography (EEG) from users through a wireless headset.  NeuroSky has several headsets for sale featuring their ThinkGear chip acquiring EEG through a dry sensor electrode.  The major advantage of the dry sensor is the time it takes to set up. Traditional gel bases EEGs can take up to 30 minutes to start acquiring data while the NeuroSky headsets are ready to go in seconds.  The disadvantage to the dry sensor electrodes is an increase in the impedance contact the sensor has with the scalp.  This can cause low amplitude signals to not be fully represented in the acquired data.

http://www.neurosky.com/

LabVIEW - NeuroSky Driver

A LabVIEW - NeuroSky Driver has been developed that allows users to easily acquire data and access the full functionality of the system level driver provided by NeuroSky. NeuroSky provides a dynamic linked library (DLL) with a set of functions written in C that access the virtual com port that runs with the headset.  Instead of accessing the specific DLL functions, LabVIEW users can now use the LabVIEW - NeuroSky Driver to easily access data from the NeuroSky driver in minutes.  The LabVIEW - NeuroSky Driver also includes examples for basic acquisition as well as some advanced functionality of the driver.

Software required:

• LabVIEW 2010 or above
  • VI Package Manager by JKI
    http://jki.net/vipm/download
  • LabVIEW - NeuroSky Driver for LabVIEW (attached to this document)
  • NeuroSky driver included with the headset

Supported Hardware

• The MindWave headset is the only headset that has been tested with the driver.

Installation instructions:
  1. Follow the directions for installing the NeuroSky driver (included with the headset)
  2. Install VI package manager if not already installed
  3. Install the LabVIEW - NeuroSky Driver linked to this document

You should now have access to the NeuroSky functions pallet on the block diagram as well as several examples available through the example finder.  (Help » Find Examples, click the Directory Structure radial button and reference the NeuroSky folder)

The attached VI demonstrates the basic functionality capable with the NeuroSky driver.

NeuroSky Demo.png

Andy K.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Comments
me21
on

Hi

I tried running the demo version provided it gives me the following errors shown below. Being new at this hardware i am really confused. Any idea how to resolve these errors.

Thanks

error.jpg

Vladiator
on

Andy,

Previously, I was able to install your demo on Windows XP successfully. Now I am running Windows 7 (LabVIEW 2011) and follow your installation instructions, and I am ending up with broken NeuroSkyDemo.vi. The example does not find the subVIs used in the demo, so I have to manually select them from the /vi.lib/NI/LabVIEW - NeuroSky Driver\ folder. But even after I find all the VI's manually, the demo is broken.

It appears you do not need the old neurosky driver 1.0.0.1. You can simply remove it from the download. I updated the VI and posted it here: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-28067

I will be working on updating this demo to fix other issues with the signal Attention/Melaxation graph is not working, processed signal drops after a while etc.)

MrTSavich
on

Hello,

I'm also a newbie...I think I got everything hooked up okay, but I'm getting these error on the demo.  Can anyone help?

4 errors and warnings

• Block diagram errors

You have connected two terminals of different types

These cannot be wired together because their data types (numeric, string, array, cluster, etc.) do not match. Show the Context Help window to see what data type is required.

The type of the source is long [32-bit integer (-2147483648 to 2147483647)].

The type of the sink is void.

You have connected two terminals of different types

These cannot be wired together because their data types (numeric, string, array, cluster. etc.) do not match. Show the Context Help window to see what data type is required.

The type of the source is single [32-bit real (~6 digit precision)].

The type of the sink is 1-D array of

single [32-bit real (~6 digit precision)].

SubVI ‘NeuroSky Driver.lvlib:ThinkGear Read.vi’: required input samples to read was not wired.

The designer of this subVI has specified that this terminal must be wired. Show the Context Help window to see what the required connections should be.

You have connected two terminal of different types

These cannot be wired together because their data types (numeric, string, array, cluster, etc.) do not match. Show the Context Help window to see what data type is required.

Cluster ->Data Out, a 1-D array of

single [32-bit real (~6 digit precision)],

conflicts with cluster Attention & Meditation->Data, a single [32-bit real (~6 digit precision)].

ranga007
on

superb

shashankshekh
on

Even i am planning on buying the ASIC from neurosky..Any idea if that would be supported but this driver??

If not how can i analyse the signal in LabVIEW?

shashankshekh
on

if i am buying the ASIC alone (neurosky Thinkgear AM http://www.neurosky.com/Products/ThinkGearAM.aspx ) will that also be supported by this driver>>??

Vladiator
on

You can try and let us know! Thanks!

Beutlich
on

This driver would probably be inappropriate, since it relies on the DLL layer to communicate with the device, and that does not exist for the ASIC. If you have hardware that you can control and analyze voltage signals with LabVIEW (like our multifunction DAQ or Scope), then you can wire them to the ASIC to help development. The ASIC is for customers who want to design their own hardware, while this driver allows a fully software experience.

- Regards,

Beutlich
Dark_Knight_042
on

Hi, I have installed everything but while running the program, I get the following error "

serialPortName could not be opened as a serial communication port for any reason. 

Check that the name is a valid COM port on your system." I changed the com port number to COM3(which is the port mindwave is using) but cant solve this problem. Can you  help me?

dhamalnamrata
on

hey i have installed driver successfully..it captured raw eeg data using given VI.but suddenly now it is giving me an error that Error-2 occurred at ThinkGear Create Task, Possible Reasons: serialPortName could not be opened as a serial communication port for any reason. Check that the name is a valid COM port on your system.

i am giving correct com port..what should i do..

Vladiator
on

Do you use MindSet or MindWave? Checkout

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-28067

dhamalnamrata
on

mindwave headset not mobile one

Vladiator
on

I only tested it on MindSet.

dhamalnamrata
on

yaa...it worked well for 10 15 times but suddenly not working

dhamalnamrata
on

it is the same mindset only..it worked well but now showing errors..any idea of troubleshooting?

dhamalnamrata
on

i re-installed the driver..but same error occuring

Vladiator
on

Com port might be locked - I'd suggest to reboot the PC. Did you try that?

dhamalnamrata
on

i restart the PC.but dint worked..

dhamalnamrata
on

i restart the PC..but it did'nt work.still the same error.

Vladiator
on

Does Neurosky software that comes with the device work using the same comport?

dhamalnamrata
on

yes that works fine.that blink zone app n all other apps also working fine.

dhamalnamrata
on

should i install labview again?

Vladiator
on

Dont this so. There are issues reported with comport - see comments on https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-28067

dhamalnamrata
on

hey it worked..i was  not closing the apps like blinkzone n all..

sohamg
on

Hi

I am having issue when reading the raw data and attention at the same time.

The graph display is getting delayed for raw data when using both simultaneously.

Please suggest.

dhamalnamrata
on

Hey may i know the descriptions of the palettes in the driver..such as neurosky read etc..input and output and their data types.?

LSaade
on

Hello,

I downloaded all the requirements as stated. I got the liscenced 2016 version of LabVIEW. I had the 2013 version, and it is still installed on my PC. 

I am getting an error that the toolkit is not compatible with any version of LabVIEW found on my PC. 

What shall I do?

Laetitia

Oana_A
on

LSaade

You should also update the LabVIEW - Neurosky Driver. I recommend you to use VI Package Manager for downloading the LabVIEW - NeuroSky Driver v1.1.1.5 - the last version (2016).

I wonder if the LabVIEW - Neurosky Driver is compatible with Mindwave Mobile edition. Is there someone who knows this or tried to create such a virtual instrument?

syedalee
on

hello,

i am trying to connect neurosky mindwave mobile 2 headset with the demo of neurosky i have fixed maximum errors but the error i am still facing is " Error -10 occurred at NeuroSky Driver.lvlib:ThinkGear SingleSample Read Raw.v " . Can anyone help me to get rid of this error.

Richie55
on

permission to ask sir. for the neurosky mindawave type that has been tested with the labview files*.VI software from the NI forum, can you send the type and neurosky mindawave images that can be tested with file files*.VI from the NI forum. please help sir

Contributors