NI Labs Toolkits

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW Timed Callback Handler

LabVIEW Timed Callback Handler

I have recently heard the same request repeatedly: "How do invoke an action in LabVIEW at regular intervals?" (The simple answer by the way: Timeout case of the Event Structure). But this quickly becomes a little more complicated when you want to perform potentially different actions at different intervals from many places, without having to copy/paste similar code over and over.

So here is a very lightweight class to do exactly that. This "TimerNotification" class allows for an unlimited number of these timers, to run independently and concurrently. The object takes a VI Path for the Callback VI to execute when the timer trigger hits.

Includes

• Timer Notification.lvclass
    • Initialize.vi: Configure the object with a Callback VI Path, the Frequency of the timer, as well as optional data to pass to the Callback VI.
    • Start.vi: Starts the timer and waits for the timer trigger.
    • Stop.vi: Stops the timer from waiting.
    • Uninitialize.vi: Cleans up the object and releases the Callback VI.
    • Get Current State.vi: Gets the current state of the object.
  • Two documented examples
    • Example which demonstrates using multiple timers objects.
    • Example which demonstrates passing complex data to the Callback VI, as well as sharing state information between runs.
  • All public API VIs have context help and icons.

Software Required

Installation Instructions

1. Download the attached .vip file.
  2. Double-click the .vip file.
    • If VI Package Manager is not already installed, you should be prompted to download and install it.
  3. From with the VI Package Manager application, select the "Install " button.

Notes

• The Function Palette should get added to LabVIEW's default palette and titled "Timer Notification".
  • I would be happy to hear comments or feedback if you have any! Add your comments below or send me a private message.

Known Issues

• The VIs do not have right-click shortcut palette entries.
  • Selecting "Show Palette" from VI Package Manager brings up another palette. I assume this is because VI Package Manager searches for the first VI on the palette (which is Initialize.vi) and finds another on disk.
Comments
Member Eric_BOB

Sorry but when i open it , there is few forget  or unvalid deftype in your package (current_state,TimerNotification,ErrorType,Timer_Factor_Value,_callbackData,).

I have LV2011 French edition.

Where have you put exemples?

Regards

Eric Bobillier

Member Phil_J1

Hello Eric, I'll try this on a French LV2011 and try to replicate your finding; sorry for the issue. The example should get installed to a "<labview>\examples\Timer Notification" folder. There should be a project there with 2 subfolders. Please open the project. I'll let you know what I find/fix as soon as possible.

Member Phil_J1

Hello Eric, please try timer_notification_class-1.0.0.13 attached above. I was able to reproduce your issue on a French LV 2011 and addressed it. The problem may be related to me using VI Package Manager, so if problems continue, I will simply post the .llb and the examples directly on this page instead.

Member Patur

Hi Phil

Thanks for posting this class.

When trying to install the .vip file, I get the following error message in VIPM:

This package is not compatible with your operating system or any LabVIEW version installed on your computer.

I have LabVIEW 2011 and 2012 (both 32-bit) installed on a Windows 7 pc.

Are there any additional system requirements not listed?

Regards,

Patur Vase

www.hfjensen.dk

--
Patur Sivertsen Vase
www.hfjensen.dk
Member Eric_BOB

Hi Phil

All is ok now. Thanks

Eric

Member Patur

Hi Phil

The error was on my side. When trying to install the .vip from a shared network drive, I get the error message:

This package is not compatible with your operating system or any LabVIEW version installed on your computer.

But when I try to install the .vip file from a local drive, there's no problem.

Again, thanks for posting the class

Regards,

Patur

--
Patur Sivertsen Vase
www.hfjensen.dk
Member Phil_J1

Thank you both for trying this out!!

Contributors