NI FlexRIO Network

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI IP network

Hi ,

just finished the first phase of my customized adapter and it seems its fine .

im looking for a I2C ip or just an example of I2C master to implement on Kintex-7 7971 .

is NI have its own database of IP for the FPGA or maybe somone can share such I2C IP ?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,453 Views)

I would start with the NI Tools Network such as this one: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/209124

To what extent have you searched online for this?

Did a quick check and some I2C stuff is dated but this may be more recent: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/210637

I would also run and do a search within VI Package Manager.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,442 Views)

Hi , thank you for the fast replay.

I've try the suggested links, they have a lot good stuff .

my other question , that it seems that I need to configure for the SDA line an "inout" port , is there any example which explain how to perform it on labview fpga platform ?

best regards.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,419 Views)

Which adapter module are you using on the 7971?  It cannot be used without one.

Certified LabVIEW Architect, Certified Professional Instructor
ALE Consultants

Introduction to LabVIEW FPGA for RF, Radar, and Electronic Warfare Applications
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,412 Views)

Hi, there are at least two references for I2C implementation on FPGA available from National Instruments.  

I2C IPs on Tools Network.png

One of the two is introduced here as well.  As for SDA and SCL operations with NI FPGA hardware I/O, you may refer to the following white paper, assuming you are familiar with I2C protocol itself.  

Developing Digital Communication Interfaces with LabVIEW FPGA

Both two references above are good for just ordinary I2C communication.  However, if any additional functions or performance are desired with customization, those two references are not well designed and architected as LabVIEW FPGA code.  In my case, very long test sequences generation and very long response acquisition through I2C were required with minimum interruption between PC and FPGA.  And that is one of the things which the references cannot handle.  

Therefore, I ended up with developing my own I2C library.  

In my experiences, there were not so many IPs available on NI Tools Network  which directly fit to my projects.  (For example, I developed some image processing IPs for NI FlexRIO products in the past such as 2D FFT FPGA IP for images larger than 1k x 1k, 2D Cross-Correlation FPGA IP for images larger than 1k x 1k, 2D Peak Finder IPs, all which work very fast with so many optimizations and DRAM utilization.  )  So, it may be recommended to consider the way you develop your own codes, as well as referring to the references.  

The NI LabVIEW High-Performance FPGA Developer's Guide

Regards,

Message 5 of 5
(3,402 Views)