From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

NI ELVIS

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI ELVIS III: QUANSER CONTROL BOARDS

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all

My supervisor recently bought a NI ELVIS 3 kit along with the Quanser Control Boards and he asked me to set it up for educational purposes.

We tried to apply the examples provided online :

https://learn.ni.com/teach/resources/1001/control-system-design-and-analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w_yP3EDOVs

However, it did not work so well. For several examples, like DC motor control, the load was not moving at all. We got the error code -363017 :The requested frequency is outside the range of supported frequencies and has been coerced to the closest supported frequency within the range.  We found the related VI and changed it into the default frequency. It still could not work. 

For my computer setup:

Win10 Professional

LabView 18.0 (with Mathscript modules, control modules, real-time modules, FPGA modules, NI ELVIS 3 Toolkit 2018)

For the Elvis 3 setup:

I used the NIMAX and logged in as an administrator and installed 18.0 package provided.

I am wondering whether it could be the software issues or the hardware issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S: I contacted the NI office in my area. They literally have no idea with that, my phone call was transferred so many times.  The staff are not willing to come on site. 😞

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,677 Views)

Hi,

Were you able to successfully run any of the examples?

Perhaps you can attach your MAX Report (instructions here) so that we can easily check your configuration to determine whether it is a software issue.

A screenshot of the error and front panel / block diagram settings would be helpful too.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,590 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ggnotez

HI

Thanks for the reply.

I think I managed to sort it out.

It seems that my previous firmware version of the NI ELVIS III has some issues. I degraded the firmware down to 6.0.0f1. Currently, it works for my LabView 18.0. 

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,581 Views)

Could you share the name of the LabVIEW project or VI you were running which threw the error?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,570 Views)

Hi 

Thanks for your reply.  We have sorted out the problems. The key point is the firmware version of the NI ELVIS III. We degraded it and it could work.

For the examples provided by Quanser and National Instruments (e.g. motor position control), they all have the same error codes -363017 :The requested frequency is outside the range of supported frequencies and has been coerced to the closest supported frequency within the range.   In the examples they provided, they are running a frequency of 30000Hz, however, the Elvis III could only provide 30000.2Hz. That is not the main issue. The firmware is the key.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,556 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ggnotez

Hi ggnotez,

I have the 2019 ELVIS III software bundle installed on my ELVIS III with the latest firmware (7.0.0) and the example seems to be working fine except for the -363017 warning you mentioned. I'm running the DC Motor Position Control VI with the disk attachment on the controls board. I see you updated the firmware, but did you also upgrade the software on the ELVIS? I've linked the instructions below. Here's a link to the latest software bundle: https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/downloads/software-products/download.ni-elvis-iii-software-bundle.h...

Installing Software: http://www.ni.com/documentation/en/ni-elvis-iii/latest/getting-started/installing-software-on-elvis-...

Best,

Josh

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,515 Views)

Hi Josh 

Thanks much for your reply.

Unfortunately, our university does not have the license for the latest LabView license. I have solved the problem now. I degraded my firmware down to 6.0 and used the LabView 18.0. All sorted now. 

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,509 Views)