cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Welcome to the new NI Community!

LiliMcDonald
NI Employee (retired)

WelcomeBanner.png

Earlier this year, we announced the start of our community renovations. Over the summer, we updated the site with a new responsive design in preparation for the phase we launched today -- the merging of the NI User Group Community with the NI Discussion Forums.

Over the years, we consistently heard from our members that hosting the NI Community through two systems has made the experience confusing and difficult to use. With this migration, you will no longer have to go between two sites to interact with your peers, and this will enable the NI Community Team to be more responsive in building out ongoing improvements to the experience. While we appreciate there will be some short-term adjustments for our members as they learn to use the new NI Community, this project represents a major improvement that will greatly benefit all users in the long-term.

Start getting familiar with the new NI Community by checking out some of the updated features:

Also, please rest assured that this does not mean that we are done improving upon the NI Community. We are constantly reviewing the feedback you provide to us and will continue to do so whether it is related to the design updates or the migration.

If you have any feedback or questions for us specific to the migration, please join in on the conversations in the topics below:

If your question falls outside of the topics above, please feel free to post a new topic in the feedback board.

Thank you for bearing with us through these changes. We hope you enjoy your new NI Community!

~~~~~~~~~
Comments
ASIC_LabRat

Are the private messages going to be restored under the user profile?

lyhuang
NI Employee (retired)

If you are referring to private messages from the old NI User Group Community, then no, they were not migrated over, so you will not see them.

If you have questions about other changes in functionality, refer to Upcoming Changes to Community Functionality.

PrimaryKey
NI Employee (retired)

Are there any plans to:

1. Remove the mass of fake users, existing only to give kudos to fake articles or examples?

2. Ban the users that use these kudos farms to promote their worthless articles?

3. Filter quality of examples and articles?

For example all of these top kudoed authors have ~1 post to them. What!? I'm not saying all of them are fake but some of them surely are. http://clickmonkeys.com/ice_screenshot_20161125-112142.png

Piotr Kruczkowski
Certified TestStand Architect
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LiliMcDonald
NI Employee (retired)

PrimaryKey - I also provided you some info via private message, but I wanted to clarify a few things here for others.

- The kudos leaderboard has some discrepancies due to the migrated content that came over on 11/21. The kudos count for the content was counted as if it occurred on that same day.

- Since the kudos count does appear on the content as all occurring on 11/21, it may appear to be fake, but a lot of it is legitimate. Some of the content with extremely high kudos counts were a part of competitions or contests which required voting.

- A lot of the content you pointed to (in private) was from 4-5 years ago. If there were spammers/bots/fake accounts at that time, there isn't a high concern that those same fake accounts would be active at this time. Most spammers are only around temporarily, and we did not migrate any inactive accounts with no content.

- We do have plans for auditing user accounts in the future, so this will be the type of scenario we keep in mind.

~~~~~~~~~
FabiolaDelaCueva
Active Participant

I like the new format. 

One request: 

I used to tell people to go to ni.com/groups and search for the groups there. Now that sends you to an invalid page, I believe it should instead redirect to the new NI Communities. This way people who were used to doing that, would still find the content they are looking for. 

Thanks,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):
Check out DSH Pragmatic Software Development Workshop!

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Have you been nice to future you?
Matt_McLaughlin
NI Employee (retired)

Hi Fab,

The ni.com/groups URL should be redirecting here: http://forums.ni.com/t5/User-Groups/ct-p/user-groups

Do you still see an error? If so, you might need to clear your browser cache to get things properly routed. Please let us know if you see any additional issues like this!

Thanks,
Matt

Matt
NI Community Team
National Instruments
FabiolaDelaCueva
Active Participant

Hi Matt,

I figured what the problem is, it does redirect, but eventhough I am logged in, when it redirects it lands on a "Page not found" page and it has an option to log in again. Then it takes me to the new page. 

I don't think I will be only one that will see "Page not found" and will move on without realizing that loging in again will take me to where I wanted to go first. Would it be possible to land in a "less scary page" that explains the transition and that we might have to log in again even if we are logged in on a separate tab on the same browser?

Thanks,

Fab

For an opportunity to learn from experienced developers / entrepeneurs (Steve, Joerg, and Brian amongst them):

DQMH Lead Architect * DQMH Trusted Advisor * Certified LabVIEW Architect * Certified LabVIEW Embedded Developer * Certified Professional Instructor * LabVIEW Champion * Code Janitor

Matt_McLaughlin
NI Employee (retired)

Hi Fab,

We've heard similar feedback from others in the week since the migration and are working on "Page Not Found" error pages with more detail and instructions included. We're hoping to get those out soon Smiley Happy

Thanks,
Matt

Matt
NI Community Team
National Instruments
FabiolaDelaCueva
Active Participant

In the old groups we were able to like comments. This is no longer possible. 

That is fine for the majority of cases, except when we were using the likes as a "voting mechanism". 

For example, for CLA Summit topics or for Users Groups Meetings, we need a way for people to volunteer what they would like to talk about and for the group participants to be able to vote for which presentation they would like to see. We no longer have polls and we cannot give kudos to individual comments, so what do you suggest?

Thanks,

Fab

LiliMcDonald
NI Employee (retired)

Fabiola - do you have an example of where this is occurring within a group? You should be able to give kudos within topics in a group, similar to a forum topic.

~~~~~~~~~
blackburnite

Is there some reason why I can't figure out how to create a forum post anymore or am I just missing something?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it.

I saw my father do some work on a car once as a kid and I asked him "How did you know how to do that?" He responded "I didn't, I had to figure it out."