NI Blog - Page 2

Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Comments

Here's a complete recap of NIWeek 2017, including: key announcements/product launches, daily summaries, and recap videos.

Read more...

2 Comments

Announcing: the integration of Time Sensitive Networking (TSN) into CompactDAQ, with the introduction of the new cDAQ-9185 and cDAQ-9189 multislot Ethernet chassis!

Read more...

0 Comments

Engineers are making waves with innovative and life-changing technologies

Read more...

4 Comments

We’re already hard at work on the next release

Read more...

0 Comments

Looking for all things LabVIEW at NIWeek? Here's a handy list of events and activities.

Read more...

6 Comments

We’re excited to announce LabVIEW NXG 1.0, which introduces an efficient, non-programming workflow to LabVIEW - letting you spend more time on innovation than implementation!

Read more...

3 Comments

LabVIEW 2017 debuts some new capabilities designed to drastically simplify the development, deployment, and management of distributed systems. We're continuing to streamline complex system design with an open, software-centric platform.

Read more...

0 Comments

We’re excited to announce ATE Core Configurations, providing mechanical, safety, and power infrastructure - all in one.

Read more...

0 Comments
1 Comment

NIWeek is all about learning, but you should have some fun too.

Read more...

0 Comments

Be prepared for NIWeek with our breakdown of what is to come

Read more...

2 Comments
0 Comments
0 Comments

Our ATCA-3671 expands the capabilities with multi-FPGAs

Read more...

0 Comments

Many of the life-changing advancements brought to bear by the Internet of Things (IoT) stem from cloud storage and cloud analytics: controlling your home with your voice, seeing inside your fridge with an app, and storing and accessing every picture ever taken of your children on any smart device from anywhere in the world. These technical marvels would be pure wizardry to anyone living 50 years ago.

Timing is essential to IIoT networking

The Industrial IoT (IIoT) doesn’t get as much mainstream attention as its consumer-oriented cousin, but it will arguably have an even greater impact on our society. The IIoT can be defined as a vast number of connected industrial systems that are communicating, coordinating, and acting on shared data to improve the performance of operational technology (OT).

By this definition, it’s tempting to think of the IIoT as simply a hardier variant of the IoT. This line of thinking has given rise to devices like IIoT gateways, which can be thought of as the fax machines of the IIoT, translating OT data for the IT infrastructure. Although gateways enable the communication of OT data to the cloud (or fog), they usually scrape away something fundamental to most IIoT systems: time.

We tolerate (barely…) some level of lag, delays, and reloads while streaming Game of Thrones on HBO GO. But these glitches cannot exist between two high-speed assembly robots or, worse yet, between a geofenced safe zone and the brakes of an autonomous earthmover.

Edge Nodes: the key to maximizing IIoT speed and reliability

Employing the IIoT to monitor and control our farms, test facilities, power grid, and factories means we must do more than simply collect and share operational data; we must also understand the importance of data latency and synchronization between our connected, industrial assets. Put simply, IIoT success hinges on the communication of the right data at the right time.

This IIoT fact of life has given rise to a layered architecture defined by the Industrial Internet Consortium (IIC) called the Industrial Internet Reference Architecture. This IIoT architecture consists of three tiers: the Edge Tier, Platform Tier (on-premises IT), and Enterprise Tier (cloud-based IT).

IIoT Architecture-Blueprint.png  

In the IIoT, decisions can happen at all three tiers, and the volume and timing requirements of the data normally dictate how to architect a system. Maximizing performance and reducing unnecessary data transfers are two primary reasons for pushing decision-making down to Edge Nodes deployed at or near OT assets. In this light, IDC predicts that by 2019, at least 40% of IoT-created data will be stored, processed, analyzed, and acted upon close to, or at the edge of, the network. 

Edge Nodes, like CompactRIO, can certainly maximize the speed and reliability of IIoT control loops. They also serve an important role in data reduction, feature extraction, and decision-making. For instance, by pushing machine learning models for predictive maintenance to the Edge Tier, CompactRIO can locally detect an anomaly and determine what the potential impact of the anomaly is on the lifetime performance of the asset, without burdening the IT infrastructure. From there it can work, through the less time-critical Platform and Enterprise tiers, to schedule the appropriate repair/replacement service. Flowserve, one of the world’s largest suppliers of industrial and environmental machinery, is working with PTC, HPE, and our own teams to implement such a solution for their customers today.

Though the IIoT megatrend is taking the OT world by storm, our customers have been quietly adding distributed measurement and control systems to their assets for decades. With connectivity to any sensor, nanosecond analysis and control, open and connected software, and world-class ruggedness, we're uniquely positioned at the IIoT edge.

Time-sensitive networking, IIoT Lab: what we're doing to advance the IIoT

Looking to the future, we're working tirelessly with our partners to create industry standards and prove out IIoT concepts. We recently opened the Industrial IoT Lab, which showcases the latest IIoT technologies and provides a collaborative space for an expansive ecosystem of partners with different expertise to work on solutions that will change the way businesses operate.

Plugfest_2017_03.jpg

One vital IIoT technology featured in the Industrial IoT Lab (and mentioned previously in this blog) is Time Sensitive Networking (TSN). TSN is the evolution of standard Ethernet (IEEE 802.1) to provide deterministic data transfer and Edge Node synchronization down to 100 ns. By using standard Ethernet components, the cost to achieve TSN levels of determinism and synchronization for the IIoT will be much lower than using specific cabling or boutique Ethernet variants.

We’re confident that the IIoT will benefit greatly from TSN, ensuring the secure, predictable, reliable and uninterrupted flow of information from sensor to cloud.  

This blog is part of a series on the Industrial Internet of ThingsRead more >>

0 Comments

NI News: how-to videos, customer case studies, product announcements, upcoming events, and more.

Read more...

3 Comments

How secure do you feel that the tools you’re using will meet your needs in the future?

Read more...

0 Comments

New system provides measurements of mmWave spectrum in milliseconds

Read more...

0 Comments

We’re excited to donate $1 million in hardware and software to NYU WIRELESS today to further mmWave communications, channel measurement, and channel emulation research for 5G communications.

Read more...

0 Comments

As @ladylabview (currently unofficial on Twitter, but official in my heart) and a leader in Corporate Marketing at NI, I find myself wearing several hats these day: self-proclaimed software geek, tech marketer, and computer scientist, to name a few. Fitting with my recent appointment to the Girlstart Board of Directors, I am also proud to wear the hat of a STEM education supporter and Women in STEM advocate.

I’m not alone in my pursuit to empower women and STEM, though. It is an incredible privilege to join others around the world who are shedding light on the need for support and empowerment within STEM.

I am proud that NI, as an organization, recognized this need and chose to prioritize investing in the next generations of engineers and scientists early on. From a student’s first time to work with a robot to celebrating lifetime achievements, investment in STEM education fuels the potential of future innovators who will continue to solve the world’s greatest challenges as technology evolves.

From my vantage point, many accomplishments have been made in STEM fields over the past few months, with leaders from around the world stepping up to cultivate, champion, and celebrate growth in their industries:

I have seen this growth in the United States as policymakers passed legislation in favor of bolstering education programs and promoting women in leadership at NASA and NSF.

I have celebrated it alongside organizations like LEGO® in its awesome commemoration of influential women in STEM on International Women’s Day.

Our company has partnered with it by developing the Women’s Leadership Forum at NIWeek, because we understand that carrying the torch of growth and empowerment is vital.  

NI has invested in it through continued partnerships with organizations like FIRST, LEGO® Education, and Girlstart, knowing in addition to having access to technology, students of all ages and backgrounds need to feel like they belong and can succeed in STEM long-term.

Personally, this supportive spark in my own engineering story came at the encouragement of those around me, the village of people around me who invested in and empowered me to realize my own potential and fit in STEM. Because of their influence, I have made it a point to pay my engineering excitement forward to my own kids (to their chagrin at times) and children at a local elementary school where I serve as a LEGO® robotics mentor.  After all, we may never know where the next Katherine Johnson, Grace Murray Hopper, or Wendy Freedman will be. They may just need us to empower them to envision their own future in STEM.

Every day, I realize more and more the importance of investing in STEM, and I invite you to engage in opportunities to support your own communities. I also encourage you to take these steps to celebrate your own STEM journey:

• Remember who sparked your journey.
  • Look beside you and celebrate those who currently support you.
  • Look in front of you and see who champions where you are trying to go.

The future of engineering is already here, and NI is committed to growing its potential.

LEGO is a trademark of the LEGO Group.

0 Comments

Throughout the year we participate, attend, and host countless trade shows, conferences and industry meetings. To help you connect with us, we’ve compiled a list of events we’ll be at during the second quarter of the year.

Read more...

0 Comments

How to simplify your vision system design and choose the right products for your applications.

Read more...

0 Comments

Exclusively for our partners, Alliance Day equips integrators, consultants, and product developers with technical and business training, and provides opportunities for networking with global sales, product management, and R&D.

Read more...

1 Comment

DeLorean, Lightning Rod Options Enable Instant Flux Dispersal

Read more...

0 Comments

Collaborations between universities and industry are vitally important to moving innovative research forward

Read more...

0 Comments

Kyle Voosen, Ali Bravo, and I recently represented NI at the Q1 2017 Industrial Internet Consortium (IIC) meeting in Reston, Virginia, near Washington, DC. NI is a member of the IIC, which hosts this meeting for industry leaders from around the globe to accelerate the development and adoption of the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT).

Addressing Hotspots

As the IIoT matures, the areas of focus for the IIC have become clearer. The meeting introduced the concept of “hotspots” that exist at the intersection of IIoT use cases and IIoT vertical industries, where IIoT interoperability is especially challenging or undefined.

IIC IIoT Landscape.png

To help address these “hotspots,” the IIC focused on testbeds that prove out ways to overcome challenges and realize the benefits of the IIoT sooner. The IIC plays a strong role in shepherding the development of testbeds that demonstrate the usefulness and viability of IIoT technologies, applications, and processes. This meeting provided testbed leaders the opportunity to update the membership on their progress.

IIC Presentation.png

IIC member companies are actively developing 21 testbeds that range from Condition Monitoring & Predictive Maintenance to Communication and Control for Microgrid Applications. They’re even developing the Smart Airline Baggage Management Testbed, which I wish would hurry up! Though testbeds are diverse, Mitch Tseng from Huawei reminded the crowd that, “From 36,000 feet, every testbed looks the same,” which means they all adhere to the three-tier IIoT model described in the Industrial Internet Reference Architecture. This model consists of the Edge Tier, Platform Tier, and Enterprise Tier. The Edge Tier often lists CompactRIO as the edge node of choice when testbeds require advanced measurements or computational power at the edge.

Time Sensitive Networking (TSN) Wins the Testbed Showcase

The meeting featured the first-ever Testbed Showcase that educated attending members on the strategic value provided by eight key testbeds, half of which involve NI. I presented an overview of the Time Sensitive Networks for Flexible Manufacturing Testbed. I began by reminding the audience that for the IIoT to be successful, a network is essential, data communication is vital, and siloed, proprietary systems are bad.

TSN is the evolution of standard Ethernet (IEEE 802.1) to provide deterministic data transfer and edge node synchronization down to 100 ns. By using standard Ethernet components, the cost to achieve TSN levels of determinism and synchronization for the IIoT will be much lower than using specific cabling or boutique Ethernet variants.

Nineteen companies, including NI, Cisco, Intel, and Bosch, are working together on the TSN Testbed to ensure network performance and interoperability among vendors. This level of activity helps explain why the TSN Testbed was voted the Most Valuable Testbed by IIC meeting attendees at the Testbed Showcase! Votes were based on criteria like vision, goals, impact, and benefit, along with innovation and experimentation, and outputs and results.

TSN Diagram.png

The meeting wasn’t all about testbeds, though. We’ll continue to play an active role in developing testbeds for the IIoT, but there are many projects and “tasks forces” in flight. Look for other updates from the quarterly meeting soon!

0 Comments

Hot topics in embedded control and measurement

Read more...

0 Comments

Join other women from across the technology spectrum for collaboration, networking, and shared business insights.

Read more...