Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Comments

We've just finished curating the European student projects and wow... what an extraordinary set of projects! Each of these students has used their imagination, desire to help society, and NI tools to create something beautiful - an ingenious solution to a big challenge. 

COLLAGE.png
Enjoy being inspired.

Read more...

• Academic
0 Comments

With a working prototype and NI technology, TU Dresden  researchers can expedite their 5G research objectives to explore new methods that help address the impending bandwidth crisis

Read more...

1 Comment

Projects.png

This year, one university got three projects in the top 10 worldwide. Learn the secrets of their success.

Read more...

• Academic
0 Comments

The Engineering Education Innovation Exchange is complete. The NI Educational Laboratory Virtual Instrumentation Suite (NI ELVIS) III has been revealed and the last customer has walked out of the UT EERC Atrium to eagerly continue NIWeek festivities.

Read more...

0 Comments

We know you’ve been eager to find out who’s been named as our 2018 Engineering Impact Award winners at NIWeek. Well, the wait is finally over!

Read more...

0 Comments

The Warwick Manufacturing Group (WMG) at the University of Warwick, recognizing the monumental impact that 5G is and will continue to have on wireless communications, has recently announced an upgrade to their lab to include 5G mmWave technology.  This upgrade has been possible because of a WMG Centre HVM Catapult award and equipment collaboration from NI.

The WMG will be using our mmWave Transceiver System to expand their research from the traditional sub 6 GHz frequencies into the new mmWave spectrum and unlock significantly wider blocks of contiguous bandwidth.  More bandwidth means higher data throughputs, which is already beginning to lead to a variety of new applications.  For WMG, their specific interest is researching how mmWave communications can enable connected and autonomous vehicles (CAVs). 

Enabling the future of automotive

CAVs will require 5G technology to be truly successful.  Existing LTE systems are lacking for several reasons, most importantly high latency and lack of data throughput. Since Vehicle to Vehicle (V2V) communication needs to be fast in order to be meaningful, latencies above the 1 ms stated goal of 5G will not give the vehicle enough time to react. 

Large bandwidths are necessary to send and receive the massive amounts of data potentially sent between sensors, the cloud, and other vehicles.  Why the cloud? If all processing and sensor hardware lives on the vehicle itself, updates become extremely difficult. (Vehicles aren’t upgraded every 2 years like a cell phone.)  But, if they can upload and download data from the cloud, this issue could be resolved. The processed data could then be downloaded by any connected vehicle, reducing the need to upgrade hardware inside the vehicle itself. 

IMG_0278.jpgDr Erik Kampert, Dr Matthew Higgins, Dr Jakobus Groenewald receive the 5G mmWave platform inside WMGs 3xD Simulator.

WMG’s Connected and Autonomous Vehicles research team are already working with a range of industrial partners on connectivity, verification and validation, and the understanding and optimization of user/customer interaction with driverless technology. This new facility will further enhance WMG’s vison to be the United Kingdom’s “go-to” CAV development platform providing unrivalled research and testing that will accelerate product introduction, infrastructure design and implementation.

We’re eager to see how the WMG takes on these challenges and innovates new solutions!

Learn more about next-generation wireless communications >>

Read more about the university's announcement >>

• Academic
0 Comments

In a certain sense, 5G is already here! So why no 5G mobile phones on the shelves of your nearest supermarket?

A future of ultra-fast, ultra-responsive, ubiquitous communications really is just over the horizon. To understand why it's not in our palms just yet we need to get one level deeper into the world of 5G...

Read more...

• Academic
Active Participant RER
0 Comments

When you mix the NI platform together with the raw creativity of a young engineer... incredible things can happen. Ladies and Gentlemen, we proudly announce the Top 10 Student Projects Worldwide 2018.

Prepare to be Inspired!

MONTAGE.JPG

Read more...

• Academic
0 Comments

Engineering education has transitioned from a focus on the practice of engineering, to the engineering sciences and now there's a growing need to build an active, experiential based exposure to engineering concepts.

Read more...

0 Comments

The year 2000 is becoming an ever more important point in history when speaking to academics and industry.

Read more...

0 Comments

This year at the ECEDHA conference, I was able to deliver a keynote address on Charting a Path of Innovation from Undergraduate Education to Research and Beyond. It was a great experience and was a jumping off point for a number of hugely enlightening conversations with some of the most passionate faculty in the world. Throughout the weekend I learned a lot and wanted to be able to share some of my insights all the way from California.

Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 4.40.22 PM.png  Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 4.40.54 PM.png  Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 4.40.44 PM.png

Read more...

• Academic
0 Comments

Health care is one of the biggest social and economic issues of our time. The need to assist an aging population has increased pressure on our limited resources for around-the-clock monitoring of health activity. Researchers at Coventry University and University College London used NI radio products to develop a truly innovative solution.

Read more...

0 Comments

Global interest in small, multirotor unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) is rising rapidly. However, the limited understanding of rotor-to-rotor interference effects is slowing down the development of UAVs with overlapping rotors. Fortunately, leading researchers at the University of Southampton are building a library of empirical data to drive future innovation.

Read more...

Active Participant RER
0 Comments

Formula Student. SAE AutoDrive. Shell Ecomarathon. Moto E Championship. These international motorsport competitions offer the ultimate learning experience for students who aspire to work within the automotive industry.

MAIN.JPG

At NI, we feel honoured to have been invited to partner with many motorsport teams around the globe. We are thrilled that the NI platform is not just helping students become competitive – it’s helping them become the VERY BEST! Allow me to introduce you to three recent, motorsport champions...

Read more...

• Academic
0 Comments

Leading next-generation mobile communication

Read more...

• Academic
0 Comments

The NI academic team has been traveling around the globe to open 2018, giving us an opportunity to gain more insights into the things that will be impact the world of education this year. There will be impact in academic research (e.g. 5G will go from theory to reality in Korea during the Olympics) and educators will further integrate  project-based learning and active learning into engineering curriculum. In my first blog post of 2018, learn about some of the trends that we are tracking, and what you will see from the National Instruments team.

Read more...

• Academic
0 Comments

“Engineering should be hard, but it shouldn't be boring and hard.

Dr. Tom Lee

What are the expectations of a mechatronics program?  An interview with Dr. Tom Lee, professor at the University of Waterloo and Chief Education Officer for Quanser, Inc.

Read more...

• Academic
1 Comment

Dr. Daniel Asmar (Educator, Engineer and Entrepreneur) Shares His Story of Partnering with NI

Read more...

• Academic
1 Comment

NI Partners to Elevate Local Engineering Education

By: Rozana Saleem, Communications Manager, USAID Compete Project

Read more...

• Academic
0 Comments

A letter of support included in your grant proposal is no longer enough to show the grant review panel that your project will succeed and is worth funding. But the right industry partner can do more than write a letter. 

For years, Igor Alvarado has collaborated with researchers through the proposal process to help them best convey the strength and credibility of their research plans. In this article, he shares tips on how an accelerated Transition to Practice Plan (TTP) can differentiate a grant proposal.

Guest Post: Igor Alvarado, Business Development Manager for Academic Research at NI

Read more...

• Academic
0 Comments

Rhys headed out to the University of New Mexico to present at the IEEE ComSoc Summer School which aims to propel academic researchers to the cutting edge applications in their field.

Read more...

• Academic
0 Comments

This blog post will be updated every time we updated Multisim Live with an exciting new feature!

Read more...

• Academic
0 Comments

Once more I was able to join the American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) 2017 annual conference which was held in Columbus Ohio. I was able to speak to countless educators, partners and thought leaders during my 3 days there, and after a little down time, I found myself in front of my computer to think through some of my major takeaways. Between conversations with influential educator Dr. Harry Powell of the University of Virginia, to seeing first hand the impact of trends like IoT - it was another fantastic conference. Here are my top 3 insights from that event.

2017_AC_m.jpg

Read more...

• Academic
Active Participant RER
0 Comments

NI is excited to provide empowering technologies to the CERN IdeaSquare - a unique, collaborative space that combines detector R&D with society-driven, student challenges. IdeaSquare unites physicists, engineers, industrial partners, and students to co-develop socially and globally relevant product ideas and innovations.

2.jpg

"CERN and NI have been collaborating for a long time, and we are very pleased to involve NI in our MSc student programs here at IdeaSquare, contributing to the training of next-generation scientists, innovators and entrepreneurs.”   -- Dr Markus Nordberg, Head of Development & Innovation, IdeasS

Read more...

• Academic
0 Comments

Every student. Every lab. Every researcher.

Read more...

Active Participant RER
0 Comments

Start Your Engines! The Destination? A Greener Future for us All.

The Shell Eco-marathon is an autosport event, which challenges young engineers to design, build and drive the most energy-efficient car. With three annual events in Asia, Americas and Europe, 500 teams from 50 countries take to the track to see who goes farthest on a single litre of fuel.

We sent NI engineers to London to check out this year’s European Eco-marathon and to meet the NI sponsored teams.

Ecomarathon (lowres).JPG

Read more...

• Academic
0 Comments

What happens when you put a fish behind the wheel of a myRIO controlled robot? Students at the University of Virginia wanted to find that out.

fish robot.png

Read more...

• Academic
0 Comments

I often pose this kind of question, in one form or another, to my team and to our industry and education partners as a check to ensure we are consistently exceeding expectations and providing the most needed and most innovative solutions for educators and researchers.

I got some amazing answers at our annual conference, Academic Forum at NIWeek. Here are my key takeaways and favorite moments from this incredible event.

Guest Blog: Andy Bell, Director of Academic Programs at NI

Student design team Taiwan

Students from the National Taiwan University demonstrate their engineering design project, Turboquad.

Read more...

• Academic
0 Comments

Multisim Live.png

Multisim Live is out of Beta! But what does that mean for you?

Read more...

• Academic