Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Featured NI Engineer: Dimaries Nieves

Powerful thought from Dimaries on becoming an engineer: “Especially for girls, I want to tell them that it’s a very challenging career, but we have the capabilities, intellect, and skills to be excellent engineers and to be successful in this field, and we need them.”

When do you first recall wanting to become an engineer?
Since I was a child, I was always fixing things around the house. In high school I enjoyed my math and computer classes, and that was when I started thinking that I wanted to be an engineer. I actually finished my studies in physics applied to electronics. So I’m not really an engineer by trade, but one of my first job experiences was in metrology, which I loved, so I’ve focused my career in this field for around 15 years.

How long have you been at NI and what has been your career path here?
I’m been here for 5 years already. I came with previous experience in metrology and calibration. I started here creating the Quality Management System for our Service Laboratory in Austin to apply and complete accreditation for ISO 17025 and its requirements. I’m currently the Quality Manager for our Metrology Laboratory. I’m also currently working with R&D to create, implement, and improve all the processes related to calibration and metrology for new product development.

What’s been your favorite project at NI?

My first experience here, creating the Quality Management System for Service Laboratory, gave me the opportunity to learn about a lot of different areas and processes, and at the same time, gave me the opportunity to meet so many new people.

If a student asked you why they should pursue engineering, what would you say?

An engineering career offers so many satisfactions and daily challenges. If you like math and science, it’s a great opportunity to do a lot of cool things. You’ll constantly learn something new and share experience and knowledge with others. Especially for girls, I want to tell them that it’s a very challenging career, but we have the capabilities, intellect, and skills to be excellent engineers and to be successful in this field, and we need them.

About Engineers Week

Engineers Week - the only event of its kind - is a time to:

• Celebrate how engineers make a difference in our world
  • Increase public dialogue about the need for engineers
  • Bring engineering to life for kids, educators, and parents
  • This post is a part of a series highlighting engineers from NI and their stories about how and why they became engineers.

See other interviews with NI engineers >>>

#eweek2016 on Twitter >>>