Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Designing LabVIEW NXG: Linking

When one LabVIEW VI needs to call another VI, LabVIEW makes that just work without asking the user to specify additional information. This is great for the domain user who doesnt want to be distracted by the noise of file management. To make it just work, the linker inside LabVIEW may store an absolute path to the called subVIs inside the VI itself. This often makes it simple and fast to load dependencies. 

However, things get complicated when a dependency isnt found where it is expected to be. During the process of loading a VI, LabVIEW may launch various helpers to locate the missing dependencies. 

The first helper searches the VI Search Path for files that match the expected name:  

linking labview.png

If that helper finds a VI with a matching name, another helper informs you about the path discrepancy:

labview 2.png

We’ve observed users struggle to keep their VI dependencies from getting cross-linked when going down this path, so we evolved the linker in LabVIEW NXG to prevent encountering missing dependencies at VI load time in the first place.

We did this with a few key design decisions:

• VIs hold only names, not paths.
  • As long as your VIs are part of a Project or Component, creating VIs that call other VIs still “just works.”
  • The Project and its Components serve as the Linker, resolving names to paths and loading SubVI dependencies as needed. This is done without user intervention.
  • Project files hierarchy mirrors project disk folder hierarchy 1:1. 
  • The LabVIEW NXG Project is required for loading and editing VIs.

By consolidating dependency resolution responsibilities into LabVIEW NXG Projects and Components, they’re the only things responsible for knowing the paths to the files they “own.” If a project expects a VI to be at a certain location on disk and it’s not there, you don’t search disk looking for the missing file or files. Instead, you look at the navigation pane on the left side of the IDE to identify errors displayed directly on any missing project items:

labview 33.png

By hovering over a broken item, you’ll see a tool tip that should help you diagnose what went wrong.

This should help you take corrective action by either:

• Deleting the broken project item and creating a new project item that points to the file in its new location.

Or

The result: LabVIEW NXG VI hierarchies often load faster than the equivalent LabVIEW 201x VI hierarchies.

We’re excited to hear what you think about the LabVIEW NXG project and linking strategy we’ve described here. Will you miss writing code outside a project? Have you struggled with missing dependencies in the past and look forward to LabVIEW NXG ending those struggles?

Your feedback is essential to influencing our plans, as we are committed to do our best to deliver an IDE that stays out of the way while you do the heavy lifting writing code.

Read more about designing LabVIEW NXG >>

-Darin Gillis
R&D Product Owner, NXG Web Module
Comments
Knight of NI

I always thought that subVI paths are stored as relative (not absolute) paths inside the caller. Can you clarify?

(Typically, If I move the entire folder hierarchy to a new location and open the toplevel, there is no observable searching for dependencies as long as everything remains in the same relative location)

LabVIEW Champion Do more with less code and in less time
Active Participant

I have run into linking issues in the past, so moves toward mitigating those types of errors are welcome. The strategy described for NXG makes sense, though is little bit too hands-off in helping fix dependency issues. Some more streamlined workflows would be useful.

For example, I can easily crash NXG when moving files around the project with the same name into the same namespace (e.g. from a library into a subfolder, where the top level already has the same named file). In these cases the files on disk have moved, but the project didn't get a chance to save those changes, so now everything is out of sync. Opening the project shows missing files, even though they exist within the project folder on disk in a different location.

nxg_crash_libraries_moved.PNG

So in the above scenario it'd be useful if the linker were able to resolve the moved files, or provide a simple component replacement wizard which steps through each missing component and lets me either pick a replacement or just remove the missing file from the project. It's a quick fix in this example, but for very large projects a little bit of help would be nice.

Another related workflow for which some help would be nice is "orphaned" GVIs in .gcomp folders. Any directory ending with .gcomp doesn't actually show up under the project tree (not without a .gcomp definition file). In my crash example I have some of these GVIs left under a .gcomp folder, but the project thinks are part of another library. The orphaned gvi is not not visible in the project tree, so now I'm back to hunting on disk to find my files. A component replacement wizard should help in finding these files.

Certified LabVIEW Architect

Thanks for the concrete feedback! This type of discussion is exactly what we were hoping would come from this blog series.

These types of usability helpers for dealing with bad situations are things that are on our backlog. While we are currently focusing on bringing some key functionality into the product around building libraries and applications, I am cataloging opportunities for increased usability. Examples, like the ones you have pointed out, are exactly the type of use cases that fall into this category.

Thanks again,

Taylor

>>> I always thought that subVI paths are stored as relative (not absolute) paths inside the caller.

>>> Can you clarify?

LabVIEW 20xx does its best to store relative paths to subVIs in most cases. But there are less common cases where LabVIEW will store absolute paths or pseudo paths to their subVIs.

This 2006 eyesonvis post explains LabVIEW path storage philosophy in more detail:

"How does LabVIEW store [information about the subVI, particularly where it is on disk]?

• As an absolute path (e.g. C:\Project1\Sub1.vi)? Not if there’s any other choice. Imagine how brittle it would be if we always stored absolute paths. If you renamed your Proj1 folder, LabVIEW wouldn't be able to find any subVI of main.VI. However, in some cases, it is not possible to use a relative path (such as when the subVI is on a different network drive), so LabVIEW has to store an absolute path.
  • As a relative path (e.g. .\Sub1.vi)? Sometimes. In fact, this is how the path is stored in most cases, except when the subVI is in certain “special” locations.
  • As a pseudo path (e.g. \Sub3.vi)? Sometimes. If the VI is in one of the “special” locations defined by pseudo paths."

-Darin Gillis
R&D Product Owner, NXG Web Module