NI Blog

Community Browser
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Announcing: LabVIEW NXG. Faster measurements. Instant insight. Programming optional.

NI

The future of LabVIEW is here.

We’re excited to announce LabVIEW NXG 1.0, which introduces an efficient, non-programming workflow to LabVIEW - letting you spend more time on innovation than implementation!

With our next-gen software-centric platform, your applications can scale to meet the continually rising demand.

LabVIEW_NXG_wind_tunnel_feature.jpg

Key benefits of LabVIEW NXG

For both programmers and non-programmers alike, LabVIEW NXG bridges the gap between configuration-based software and custom programming languages, giving you the tools to increase your productivity and your breakthroughs.

• Faster measurements. Streamlined, non-programming workflows simplify discovery, installation, verification, and optimization.
  • Instant insight. Interactive data management lets you explore results and apply iterative analysis with a single click.
  • Programming optional. Innovative new approach to measurement giving you more time to focus on solving challenges rather than programming.

Figure 1_Accelerate Engineering Graphic.jpg

So, what's the transition to LabVIEW NXG like?

Worried about getting acclimated to new features and concepts? Never fear. LabVIEW NXG includes a native learning system teaches you engineering concepts while simultaneously familiarizing you with the environment. Workspace orientation will familiarize you with the new capabilities, and our interactive lessons provide example code and workbooks to guide you through engineering concepts and theory.

And who can use LabVIEW NXG, vs LabVIEW 2017, or both?

LabVIEW NXG 1.0 is available to all users active in the LabVIEW Standard Service Program (SSP) – and any new purchases of LabVIEW will include both LabVIEW 2017 and LabVIEW NXG 1.0. Which means you get the best of both worlds.

By providing faster measurements, instant insights, and a simplified user experience, your productivity will skyrocket. The next generation of technology is here.

Discover the future of LabVIEW, and what LabVIEW can do for you >>>

Comments
nik35324

During the installation of LabVIEW NXG 1.0 the following error pops up:  "Check Internet connection and try again". 

I have posted about the error in discussion forums.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/LabVIEW-NXG-1-0-installation-error-quot-Check-Internet/m-p/3635236#...

Thankyou

Intaris
Proven Zealot

A programming language where programming is optional?

JKSH
Active Participant
@Intaris wrote:

A programming language where programming is optional?

LabVIEW is the development environment, whereas G is the programming language.

So, I suppose it's a development environment where a programming language is optional. 😉

Certified LabVIEW Developer
FTI_Newton

A LabVIEW rewrite was long overdue. So far, the project environment seems pretty good. 
But the graphical choices...blech. It's like Fisher Price licensed a version of MIT's 'Scratch'. 50 shades of grey, rounded, bubbly corners and soft pastel colours... the lack of contrast slows visual identification of screen elements. Matter of preference perhaps.

JKSH
Active Participant
@FTI_Newton wrote:

the lack of contrast slows visual identification of screen elements. Matter of preference perhaps.

The reduced contrast first appeared in LabVIEW 2016, and has been discussed/debated at https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Restore-High-Contrast-Icons/idi-p/3363355

Certified LabVIEW Developer
FTI_Newton

The reduced contrast in 2016 is exceedingly minor compared the difference between LabVIEW and LabVIEW NXG.

I'm not only referring to the nodes, but the entire environment in NXG is too "soft". Nothing is crisp. 
For example, the palette iconography all blends together in a grey wash. The grey icons and nondescript project tree doesn't register quickly to the eye for an 'at-a-glance' overview. The rounded corners on the nodes makes them all look like background elements instead of objects ON a background. Its tiresome to look at (for me - YMMV).

That little loss of contrast ain't the same freakin' ballpark, it ain't the same league, it ain't even the same freakin' sport. 😉

Maybe this is all the new style now, and it's just me that isn't feelin' it. That's OK. I'll either get used to it, or I won't. If the editing environment slows me down permanently I'll switch to something else.