Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

simulation of solar systems

i want to design a microgrid in terraced houses using the solar panels as a source of energy and feeding this energy to the loads in the houses .i am actually wondering if the labview was provided with a built in blocks for solar panels ,inverters ,batteries ,meters and batteries or i have to construct each part from the components assemply.please help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(7,186 Views)

Hi there,

My name is Joshua Young and I am from the Applications Engineering departments at NI UK. I hope that I can offer some form of assistance to help you with your issue.

Firstly let me clarify that you want to create a system to monitor and control a simulated microgrid within a terraced house that includes various solar panels, inverters, batteries etc. I presume you want to manage and monitor the system using a graphical user interface on a LabVIEW front panel.

If this is correct, then there certainly is scope for the project using LabVIEW. Although, LabVIEW itself does not hold simulation profiles for electrical components like you described. On the other hand, by understanding the components characteristics and the type of signal that could be obtained from such devices, you could create sub systems or sub Vis to emulate their behaviour under certain conditions. For example, generating a sine wave, PWM, etc.

If you particularly want to use more accurate electrical simulation profiles, then you could potentially use Mutlisim to simulate the components and the data could be further analysed within LabVIEW using additional toolboxes.

Please check out the LabVIEW Multisim Connectivity Toolbox. Depending on what version of Multisim you have, the toolbox may be already installed.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-4088

If you were to introduce even some simple hardware to your design, it could get very fun and interesting!

Hope I have given you some insight into the issues and possibilities. Have a think about what direction you want to take your project.

Thanks,

Joshua Young

Application Engineer
National Instruments UK

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(7,053 Views)

Hi again, 

Its been a couple of weeks since you posted, it would be great to hear how your getting on with the project. 

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,

Joshua Young

Applications Engineer

National Instruments UK

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,999 Views)

hi mr Young ,

thank you for assistance ,actually a further clarificacation was needed regarding the behaviour of such solar components ,is it possible to emulate voltage conversion from dc to ac considering the amount of current provided by solar panels .is that available in lab view or i have to create my own vi's to perform the system .because i would also need to simulate the loads connected in the system such as lights ,machines and f.f.actually i was asked to simulate the whole real componentsstarting from the panels ending with the loads.is it possible to perform that using the software.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,974 Views)

Hi again,

As mentioned previously, LabVIEW doesn’t actually have any simulation models for solar panels, batteries, etc. However LabVIEW can be used to analyse and manipulate simulation data from Multisim using additional toolkits.

As Multisim is SPICE software, it is capable of building simulation models for electrical components and systems. Additional models for such systems and components can be found online or from third parties sources.

So Yes, it is certainly feasible however if you are primarily interested in the electrical characteristics I would recommend just using Multisim and the provided simulation and analysis tools.

This discussion may be of use to you as it shows how LabVIEW and Multisim can be used together with a simular application to your;

https://decibel.ni.com/content/message/103213

Hope this helps.

Joshua Young

Applications Engineer

National Instruments UK

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(6,909 Views)

There is a great new product that I’ve found. There is a project on Kickstarter featuring a fully compatible Energy Manager.

You do not need expensive solar storage tanks and can consume more of your own solar energy

Here is the link for the kickstarter: www.kickstarter.com/projects/1983254852/emdo-can-do-your-energy-manager-for-renewable-ener

There’s also a film I find really cool at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bph5GGgcq4I

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(6,261 Views)