Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

series capacitor to bridge rectifier - simulation error

Concerning EWB Student Suite MultiSim 9 and UltiBoard 9. ver 9.0.134

1.  Multisim may have a problem when attempting to simulate using series capacitors. 

Is this true? 
See below.

2.  Concerning AC input to logic output - doing the circuit analysis. 

We have a great need to simulate the circuit response while using a .22uf capacitor in series with a 130VAC source and a 680 ohm resistor thru a full bridge rectifier diode.  The output of the rectifier feeds a 100uf capacitor, resistors and a TL431 CLP Shunt Regulator.  This provides a 5V logic output to a microcontroller input port with a 47K pull up resistor.  (I am having a problem in real life with this pull up because it is not allowing the logic to go low on the input pin.  This 47k pull up is not accessible to me.)  This is why it will be helpful to simulate and solve for this problem.

3. Another Situation that needs a solution is how to add the TL431 Shunt regulator spice characteristics to the EWB Student Edition Library on my computer?

Can this be done?  Where do I start?

4.  I have not yet been able to successfully simulate this circuit when substituting what comes in the component library, a 4.7 or 5.1 V zener, while using multisim. 

I can share the circuit with you, but you will need to tell me how.  I am attaching Circuit1.ms9.  Let me know if you can not open.

5.  I have just purchased this EWB Student Edition 9.0 in order to learn and see if it is a solid program.  Hope not to be disappointed.

I successfully and consistently simulated this circuit while using the BeigeBag B2Spice V5 Software Simulator.  And the actual circuit built, truly reflected the simulation.  Before using the BeigeBag B2Spice, I first tried the NI EWB Freeware test download, but could not consistently simulate.  I thought the problem was on my part, for not understanding certain characteristics of the program.  Could still be that? 

Knowing the high quality of NI and EWB, I would like to give another opportunity to EWB, especially after investing my hard earned money in this program.  Later, after it proves to be solid, then I would like to purchase a professional version.

6.  One last question - how would I update my present software to the 9.1 versions of these programs?

Thank you, before hand for any suggestions and help.

See attached Circuit.

Best Regards,

Duane Arthur O'Connell Phillips

mexico3itec@theRiver.com

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(7,894 Views)
Try using a small value resistor in series with the 100uf cap.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(7,856 Views)
Hello Duane,

In answer to some of your questions:

1.) I have never heard of any situations of series capacitors having a problem - if you can add your circuit to a zip file and attach it to your next post - we might be able to see what is happening in this situation.

3.) If you have a SPICE model for a particular component which is not currently available in the Multisim database, please check out the following tutorial which will guide you through the component creation process: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/897FBC1CA3296F088625712B0034BEE9

6.) To get the latest updates you can go to Help >> Check For Updates while in Multisim and this will download any current updates ready for your machine.

For all the other issues that you are encountering, if you could again add the circuits to a zip file and attach it to the post, we might be able to narrow down where the issue lies.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(7,745 Views)