From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

muiltisim

Enter a body

I am trying to simulate a quartz crystal equivalent circuit.  The series LCR part simulates as expected, but when I add a parallel capacitor the simulation fails.  What am I doing wrong?

FHS

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,466 Views)

hello,

try that

good luck

Michael

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,462 Views)

It would help if you listed your value of lumped elements. Better yet show your schematic. Without seeing what you have, I suspect your parallel cap value is much too large.

Keep in mind, the parallel capacitance is the equivalent C of the holder and electrodes, so a value of around 4.5pf would be typical. The series L and C is the resonant frequency so, Fo= 1/2pi(SQR LC) the resistance is mechanical equivalent.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,436 Views)

Hello, thanks for response.

Have you checked the second image?

the parralel Cap on schematic is too big.

but there is a problem -

according to books Cpar  and Cser should be close.

but try to simulate it and take a look on frequencies.

in real world in my field (which is ultrasonic welding) - these freqs are very close - f,e for 20Khz range it might be 19,800 and 20,000 or something like that.

in order to get these freqs  close in simulation I had to increase Cpar.

there are formulas -

there are 2 resonant freqs -

one for serial resonance( L, R, C_ser)

for Fo_ser= 1/(6.28(SQR(L* C_ser)))

and second one - for parallel resonance ( L, R, C_ser, C_par)-

for Fo_par= 1/(6.28 (  SQR  (  L*  (C_ser * C_par)  /  (C_ser + C_par)))

it means that C_par and C_ser are connected in serial for that matter.

BTW that why , serial  resonance freq is always higher  then parallel one.

in order to get these freqs close to each other -  the one of caps should be much bigger then other, and then  C_ser and Cpar in serial would be close to C_ser .

run the numbers your self and see. or run simulations , play with parameters and see the results.

and another question - what way \ technick do you use to measure these parameters - I mean - C+ser and C_par.???

thanks in advance for your opinion

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,420 Views)

If I understood the question right, the poster was trying to model a quartz crystal, I assume the type used in a crystal oscillator. I am not sure how close a Piezo transducer is to a quartz crystal used in a oscillator, but I am sure the values for the transducer are larger as the resonant frequency is much lower.

I found a App note that describes the quartz crystal model fairly well.  https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/2127

Note, this is a snippet from the App note concerning the parallel capacitance.

CL1 and CL2 are the loading capacitors. During the test, CL1 = CL2 and the value varies from 5pf to 59pf with the inverter supply voltage Vcc = 3.1V and Vcc = 2.3V. The crystal in the test has a nominal frequency of 27MHz at load capacitance of 14pF. It should be noted that the actual loading capacitance to the crystal equals CL1 || CL2 plus the parasitic capacitance of board and the terminals of the inverters.

The pdf for the app note. http://pdfserv.maximintegrated.com/en/an/AN2127.pdf

Well, perhaps we are thinking Apples and oranges here, so I may just have misunderstood the original question.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,415 Views)

hello, thanks for response.

I guess you are right, we talking apple and oranges here  indeed.

But common denominator of crystalls and transdusers  is - they both have the same model, but differt set of paramenters of coarse.

it seems to me the best solution - to read some good book aboutpiezzoelectric materials.

with hope it helps

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,397 Views)