Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do i connect my bode plotter to a acitve lm741 band pass filter

I am trying to connect the Bode Plotter to my circuit which is a basic 2 stage  LM741 active band pass filter and cannot figure out where to connect the plotter.  This is for a project at school so if someone could help that would be great
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(15,355 Views)

Hi,

Using the bode analyzer is pretty easy. Make sure that:

1 - You have an AC_POWER source on the input node of your filter

AC_POWER is in the Master Database under the Sources group and POWER_SOURCES family

2 - You are powering, biasing and loading your amplifier properly

3 - You connected the IN + terminal of the bode analyzer to the input node of your filter

4 - You connected the OUT + terminal of the bode analyzer to the output node of your amplifier

5 - You connect the IN - and OUT - terminal of the bode analyzer to ground (unless you want to measure differential voltages)

6 - You are using the interactive simulator (i.e. hitting the green play button or flipping the simulation switch or pressing F5)

7 - Double click on the bode analyzer to view results

Open the RFAmplifier example to see an example of the bode analyzer in action.

----------
Yi
Software Developer
National Instruments - Electronics Workbench Group
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(15,352 Views)
is there a way i can send you a copy of my circuit and you can tell me what i am doing wrong because that is how i have it connected and i am not getting a bandpass reaction on the plotter
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(15,347 Views)
When you click reply, there's a link underneath the message body labeled "Add Attachments". Click on that and the forum will allow you to attach your files.
----------
Yi
Software Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(15,345 Views)
here is the circuit thank you for taking the time to look at this
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(15,338 Views)

It looks like to me that you connected the analyzer correctly.

You may need to zoom out vertically in the bode plot. Try changing the upper limit of the vertical axis to 60dB instead of 0dB (what it is by default). See attached screen shot.

----------
Yi
Software Developer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(15,336 Views)
yeah that made it so i could see the plot better i just don't understand why i am not getting a better bandpass response for this circuit it has that huge dB loss right in the center of the plot which is confusing me tremendously
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(15,333 Views)

Unfortunately, I won't be able to help you with that as active filter design is outside my realm of expertise, but other people on this forum would probably know better and could help you.

I hope the bode analyzer is working fine for you. Let us know if you have any other questions.

----------
Yi
Software Developer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(15,331 Views)

I'm assuming you're trying to build a Sallen-Key 4-pole bandpass, right?  I didn't look too closely at the values in your circuit, but this app note should help you:  http://focus.ti.com/lit/an/sloa024b/sloa024b.pdf

Without knowing your specifications, it's unclear what frequencies you're aiming for.  Dissect the circuit by stage until you get something reasonable.

BTW, the input on the bode plotter should be connected to the output of V5, not after R2.  That doesn't seem to be your problem though.  I also switched out the 741s with virtual opamps, but your cutoff frequencies seem to be off.  You're seeing some strange effects from device limitations <1Hz and >1GHz.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(15,278 Views)