From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I force ultiboard to have all pin connections to just one layer, but still have top and bottom layer be routable.?

electronics workbench 9.

I have a circuit that Ive drawn up in multisim, and when I transfer it over to ultiboard many of my components (which are all on the top layer) have there pin connections on the top layer. How do I set it up so that all of the pins go to the bottom layer but still have both layers routable? I was going to use pin junctions to connect various components in between the top and bottom layer. I know you can set up each pin one-on-one to force which layer to use, but this is taking forever, and every time I change something in multisim I have to do it allll over again.

sorry if this is a question that has been asked before, but I searched for different keywords that I thought would answer it and didnt have any luck 😮

thanks all.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,890 Views)

Hmmm... I thought this one a lot 'cause I know exactly what you are looking for but I know that the software does not has a special function for that purpose, you may have to workaround it... so, go to your spreadsheet view in Ultiboard, and go to the Nets tabs... select all nets and click on the Routing Layers column, select only the Bottom layer and click OK, it will update the change for all Nets (and all pins), now, what you are trying to do is to tell the software to route only on the bottom layer... start the autorouter or manual tracing, whenever you cannot find a route for a specific trace, then on those cases overwrite this rule (routing layer column on the spreadsheet view) only for those nets, and try routing (manually) starting on the bottom layer but then switching to the top layer, 'on the fly' you can use the pull-down menu on the top toolbar for layer selection and it will place a via and switch to trace to the top layer... do the same when you want to come back to the bottom layer.

Did that made sense?...

Nestor
Message 2 of 2
(3,868 Views)