Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding a footprint to virtual device

Hello,

I'm designing a circuit and I want to export it to Ultiboard when I'm done. I've been using the COMPARATOR_VIRTUAL device because the actual model I'm using wasn't in the database. I tried adding it but the only option in the spice model generator was op-amp, and that model doesn't work quite right for my application. So my questions is, how do I take an arbitrary "model" device, and add a footprint to it so I can export to Ultiboard easily? For example, is there a way to extract the spice model of a virtual comparator I configured to use it in a custom component? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dominik

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,680 Views)

Hi dominike,

It is not possible to add a footprint to this virtual component. What you will need to do is make a new Layout only component. These components do not have a simulation model but they have a footprint and can be transfered to Ultiboard. Once you have made the component, it is simply a matter of wiring it into your circuit. Here is a tutorial to custom component creation in Multisim.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3173/en

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Tayyab R,
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,668 Views)

Hi Tayyab,

First off, thank you for your reply.

So there isn't a more sophisticated way to attach a fooprint to a certain device on my schematic without making a dummy component and physically replacing it everytime I want to submit my netlist to Ultiboard? What about extracting the spice model from a customized ideal component and attaching that model to a custom component? Thanks for your help!

Dom

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,666 Views)

Hi Dominik,

It is not possible to do it for this part because it is a configurable part. What that means is that you can go to the properties of the part and configure it under the Value tab. It is not possible to save such parts to the user or corporate databases. That is why you will have to make a new layout only part for PCB Design purposes.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Tayyab R,
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,663 Views)

Hi Tayyab,

Ok I guess I'll have to make due. Thanks again for your help and speedy response. Hope you have a good day!

Dom

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,660 Views)