From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wiring in Ultiboard

Hey all, I am an Ultiboard newbie and I need help quick. I am working on a Clock Distribution board in which I first did the schematic in Multisim and then
imported its netlist into Ultiboard...all my parts appeared fine but even though lines appear connecting the different pins (from the resistor to the chips, to the capacitors etc)
we are not convinced these yellow lines are actualy connections but just traces explaining where connections should do... and I was just wondering how to do I wire things together in Ultiboard...do you just draw a line for connections? Please help me!

Thanks.
Message 1 of 6
(6,856 Views)

Yes, those yellow lines are called the ratsnest and they represent the logical netlist connections, which means, which pins need to connect to each other.

As far as telling you how to place copper traces to route the board, I would suggest that you first go through the Getting Started manual, and after you have finished those exercises then we can help you out with specific questions, Ultiboard offers four routing methods (manual, connection machine, follow-me and autorouter) and they are mentioned on the Getting Started.

Go to Start > Programs > National Instruments > Circuit Design Suite 10.0 > Documentation > Getting Started. Look for Chapter 3, that is the Ultiboard tutorial.

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(6,849 Views)

Hit there and welcome to the community. You are partially correct. The yellow lines between components are called the "ratsnest". It is an indication of the connection between components, but it is not a copper trace. Multisim automatically exports these connections to Ultiboard. Now the only thing that needs to be done is to run the acutal copper traces.

To create a trace you can do some different things. Run the Autorouter and let it create them automatically. You can manually place traces with either the connection machine or the follow-me option. Thes last 2 can be found in the drawing tools located at the top of the screen.I would recommend using the autorouter as this is the simplest method with the least chance for errors (besides who routes boards manually nowadays anyway).

I hope I was at least somewhat helpful. For additional resources you can search the NI Website. There you may find some tutorials that will go further in explaning things.

Have a Nice Day

Kittmaster's Component Database
http://ni.kittmaster.com

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(6,848 Views)
THANKS...REALLY HELPFULL!!!!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(6,842 Views)

HOW can I add ratsnet( wiring)  Manually in Ultiboard.. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,541 Views)