Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Noise Figure amplifier measured is Negative in Multisim?

I’ve simulated several amplifiers(such as common-emitter, common-collector, common-base, etc.) to get the NF parameter,but the results have shocked me: some data is Negative. In my opinion, NF should not be less than 0dB due to the noise generated by amplifier. I thought there was something wrong with my operation, so I download some file from NI website to study it ,but find a Negative result in NI Multisim User Manual which is -110dB with a sample Named “Noise Figure – RF Amplifier”. so the question is: Why Noise Figure amplifier measured is Negative in Multisim? I didn’t find any difference on definition of NF from Multisim Help, and haven’t researched any information about this question on Web either. It seems like Nobody discussed this question before. If anyone can give me some advice, I'd appreciate it cos I've been trying to figure it out for almost 2 weeks. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,259 Views)

problem resolved

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,134 Views)

Hello abelard901,

Could you please share how did you solve the problem?

So the others who might face this issue can solve it.

(1,975 Views)

Hi,

I have experienced the same problem with the Noise Figure analysis.  I am using Student Edition 14.2.0.  Our lab assignment is a simple inverting op-amp circuit.  The results of the Noise Figure are negative, and they are exactly the (negative) of the gain for a given frequency.  I expected the noise figure to be 20log(SNR in/SNR out), but instead they are -20log(Rf/R g).

smccain953G_1-1648554341628.png

smccain953G_2-1648554375317.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(1,307 Views)

Привет, дорогой!
Может, эта информация будет полезной
https://www.quora.com/How-is-it-possible-to-have-negative-decibels-for-sound

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(1,301 Views)