Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I import a DXF file into Ultiboard, all corners that were rounded are imported as 45 degree cutoffs?

When I import a DXF file, all corners that were rounded are imported as 45 degree cutoffs? In previous versions, I did not encounter this problem. Does anyone know if there are any settings that need to be changed in order to allow Ultiboard to import the rounded corners properly?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,038 Views)

Hi,

Please post your DXF file and also indicate which Ultiboard version you are using, I like to have a look at this.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,024 Views)

Here is one of the DXF (extension changed to .txt) files that we have tried, It shows the proper corners  when veiwed by our "dfx veiwer". We are using Ultiboard 11.0 (11.0.278), but we never had a problem with this funsyion in Ultiboard 10.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,019 Views)

I was able to see the problem when I imported your dxf file into Ultiboard, I will pass this file to R&D for them to look at. I have a dxf to dxf converter tool that I used and the attached file should import into Ultiboard with the rounded corners. If you are using AutoCAD, I know they can save DXF in many different versions, try saving in an earlier version.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(4,001 Views)

i tried to import dxf file of layout to of circuit from autocad 2012 using ultiboard 11 but it gives me losses of drawing so how can i do that with this version ultiboard 11 and when i tried to do that with ultiboard 12 , it succeded but when i tried to export dril file to work with , it failed to give result
please can you explain to me the solution for that so can represent that the dxf file after importing become photo without any real pads for exporting gerber files or drill files

here is the file in dxf format

i will wait your reply

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,771 Views)

Hi,

In Ultiboard 12, we made a big improvement to the DXF export and what you can do in V12; you may not be able to do in V11.  Without looking your file, it's hard to say what the problem is so send me a private message and attach your file, I will see what I can do with it.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,746 Views)

In Ultiboard 11.  I have a file that refuses to make a DXF... Well that's not exactly correct... It makes a HUGE DXF no matter what... I even tried removing everything except for 8 lines of silkscreen and two refdes'.  The program appears to hang up but if I go to the folder in explorer, you can see that the file is just growin.  I have yet to let it stop completely.  I waited an hour during lunch.  When I cam back the file size was 3 GIGS!!!! I could have hand written it on a sheet of notebook paper with less lines of code than that..... What the heck is going on?  Since DXF is the ONLY usuable solution for getting circuit board outlines into Solidworks, I really need this to work.  It's ludicrous that I'm about to have to re-draw my circuit board in Solidworks to check fit in my assembly... Why is there no option to exprt to something 3d for use in solidworks or autocad?  But more importantly, how can I finish this project? 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,591 Views)

Hi there,

This was a known issue in Ultiboard 11.0. Do you have holes in the board? First of all let's install an update, version 11.0.0.2. It can be downloaded at:

NI Circuit Design Suite 11.0.0.2

Let us know how this works.

Best,

Fernando D.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,568 Views)

Well, after installing that update, it does at least make the DXF within a few milliseconds, but it still won't open in Solidworks.  It says invalid DXF.  I've never had any issues importing DXFs from Ultiboard 10.  I've been doing this since Ultiboard 9 and no issues. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,561 Views)

Hi,

I'd like to take a look of your file. If you cannot attach it here and have a service contract with NI please create a service request at ni.com/support and send us your file. If you don't have a contract please send me a private message.

By the way, back in 2008 we created a tool to export the design to mechanical CAD tools.

Exporting A PCB Design to Mechanical CAD Tools: Multisim, Ultiboard and LabVIEW

Please note that this tool was tested with Ultiboard 10 and SolidWorks 2007. Unfortunately the tool has not been updated, therefore, it may not work work with Ultiboard 11 and later.

Regards,

Fernando D.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,542 Views)