From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultiboard shapes overview

Hi,

I started to use Multisim and Ultiboard (v10.something) for some project at work. The schematic design with Multisim is OK, no fancy simulation needed or anything like that. The problem is that I don't know which shapes I need to select in Multisim so that when I transfer the schematic to Ultiboard I have the correct ones.

For instance, I use a number of resistors (0.25W to 5W) and when placing a resistor (or any other component) in Multisim you can also select a shape to go with it. However the names of the shapes are unknown to me and the little drawings that show the shape outline give me no real inducation of how big they are in real life. My question is; is there a document (PDF or something) with ALL the available shapes (including the names of the shapes) in Ulttiboard (v10.something) that can be printed to a 1:1 size ratio. If would be of great help to me.

Thanks in advance,
  Floris
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(8,137 Views)

I think that the naming convention for the through hole resistors are the last numbers give the package outline dimensions in mils.

For example IPC-2221A/2222/RES1300-700X250, would be a resistor with an outer dimension of 700 by 250 mils.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(8,134 Views)

Well ... it helps a little bit I guess.

However I would prefer to have a printed overview from all the shapes available. I have found something like that from a previous version of Ultiboard (PDF document) but the names of the shapes are different, there more like this for a resistor 'R0207R10'.

Hope somebody knows where I can find the current shapes.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(8,130 Views)
What is needed here is the ability to select a resistor footprint based upon the wattage. This would be a nice addtion to Multisim/Ultiobard. This way you wouldn't have to guess at the size or consult a datasheet for dimensions.

As far as the shapes,, when you select a component in Multisim you can view a detail report of the component that shows all the footprints. The problem is I still don't believe they are shown to scale on the report page.
Kittmaster's Component Database
http://ni.kittmaster.com

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(8,120 Views)
I had a similar need when starting with Ultiboard. The easiest solution I decided was to make my own. I created a new design in Ulti and then used the Place->From Database... command. I placed each footprint I wanted with the Shape name visible. I could then print that design with a 1:1 ratio. It takes some time at first, but it was worth it to me. I also do this with all the footprints I create myself. You can use one design for resistors, another for caps, etc and so forth if you like.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(8,093 Views)