From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultiboard crashes V14.1

Ultiboard keeps crashing on me when I go to edit the properties of a part. Not always, but very frequently. If I don't remember to save the file frequently I would never get anything done. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,691 Views)

Hi jd_geadnic

This crash is weird and inconvenient as you said. Does this happens only when editing properties of a part? Did it started happening after a specific time?
 I suggest to monitor the RAM moments before and after the crash (doesn't sound like a memory issue tough)

And also to repair or force reinstall your software as it looks like missing packages.

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P8U0SAK

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,638 Views)

It started after the last update. It seems to happen if I double click on a part in the design only. As an example, the most common time is when I am editing the silkscreen and accidentally double click on a part. It opens up the part properties and crashes. I can edit the silkscreen properties all day long without a problem though. So maybe having the silk layer selected and then double clicking a part which not only opens the properties but switches the active layer causes it? But it has started happening with quite regularity lately and this is a Windows 10 machine that is not even a year old yet with a SSD. However, I haven't verified it yet, but it could be happening to design which I keep in a dropbox directory. I have one client that requires all edits/designs happen in a network directory so he can keep constant backups. I used to copy it locally and then copy it to the network drive when I'm done but I've forgotten too many times so now he insists it be done using the dropbox folder. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,634 Views)

"

I suggest to monitor the RAM moments before and after the crash (doesn't sound like a memory issue tough)

And also to repair or force reinstall your software as it looks like missing packages."

Um, how do I anticipate it is going to crash? 

I have 64 GB of Ram installed in the machine. Ultiboard rarely uses more than 50 MB of it. Rarely do I see the total usage go above 30%. But I don't monitor it that closely. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,633 Views)

"And also to repair or force reinstall your software as it looks like missing packages." 

What makes you say this? A force reinstall seems like a pretty serious step to make, especially in the middle of 3 jobs! What looks to you like is missing??? It's setup to auto-update. How can it be missing packages? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,632 Views)

This started happening after a Windows update or an Ultiboard update?? It's really a very corner case but if you are able to isolate the issue to a dropbox-folder design this may indicate network conflicts with the design(?). I haven't heard of that before also because in a dropbox folder you should also have a local copy, right?

If you try to edit the part properties with another active layer does it happens the same?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,625 Views)

Yeah doesn't sound like memory related, I was just thinking that if the program by any chance enters "in a loop" it could cause the memory go up and crash. Not the case here.

I wouldn't recommend a force reinstall if you have ongoing projects as it would take a good amount of time to reinstall and can mess with any custom configurations. However, for many odd behaviors/crashes the fastest solution is doing that. Finding the reason of why this crash happens could give us a less invasive solution but could take much more time to find it.

(from error screenshot)"No installed debugger has Just-In-Time debugging enabled. In Visual Studio, Jus-In-Time debugging can be enabled from Tools/Options/Debugging/Just-In-Time".

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/an-unhandled-win32-exceptio...
https://forums.asp.net/t/2120030.aspx?An+unhandled+win32+exception+occurred+in+w3wp+exe

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,623 Views)

Thanks for your posts. It helps get me thinking. I wish I had answers to your questions but all I know for sure is that it seems to happen randomly but only when editing the properties of a part. I have a design that has a large battery holder on the bottom of th board and if I don’t uncheck the ability to select parts, I always managed to select it (because it is so large and overlaps everything) so I end up opening the part “properties” menu a lot more often than usual. But it isn’t limited to that part either. It seems to be related more to not editing a part for extended periods of time since the last reboot of ultiboard and also I find that if I save the file frequently, it never happens.  But I have to remember to hit “save” after every few edits.  

Otherwise, it always happens as a “surprise” which makes symptom gathering rather difficult. 

Your post on the error message does get me thinking of this ongoing problem I’ve been having with my Acronis backup. I have it set to only run backups when the machine is idle but I have a feeling it is still doing “something” and since it isn’t doing the regularly scheduled backups consistently and regularly I’m suspicious of it now. I am fed up with dealing with it so since my subscription renews Jan 1 I’m going to uninstall it and change to something else. Hopefully that will help. 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,618 Views)