Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultiboard 9 to Autodesk Inventor 11

I created a circuit board design using Ultiboard 9 and saved it in a file in the IGES format. How to open this file as a solid body in MCAD systems? If I open it using Autodesk Inventor 11, the program loads the circuit board as a set of surfaces. This surface representation complicates mechanical analysis of the board.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,853 Views)

Hi,

The export function in Ultiboard is not meant to have mass/mechanical properties of components from a 3D designer point of view . This is why you would see the object as a group of surfaces. In other words, you would not be able to open the exported file and make Mass/weight analysis or mechanical analysis, or Finite element analysis for example, since Ultiboard is not designed to apply information such as -what material is a component made of?-, what are the momentums?... thermal characteristics, etc.

For that purpose you would need to use the surfaces and make them a solid object manually and then give properties to it.

I have to say, I'm assuming in my contribution to your thread that you want to perform mechanical analysis of the ones I mention above. If you want 'dimensional' analysis then you should be fine with the surfaces.

Hope this helps,

Nestor
Message 2 of 2
(4,737 Views)