Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UB12: When I create a part, How can I give the 3D appearance a ring shape (coil)?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

My circuit uses a custom coil:  outer radius 12.13mm, inner radius 11.13mm, height 1.00mm.  I tried to make this shape in UB by drawing a 11.63mm radius circle with a 1mm thickness.  Then in the 3D settings I made the height 1mm and the offset 0mm.  This gave me a solid round object with the correct height and outer diameter.  I figured out that if I select create hole, it will create a depth in the center of the circle diameter. 

So, I made one circle on the 3D layer with the same radius as the inner radius of the coil.  I set that to create hole.  The I made another circle on the 3D layer with a radius of the outer radius of the coil and set that to solid.   Then I selected both circles and looked at the 3D tab of the properties dialog.  I got a solid object again.  How can I make the smaller radius object with the hole in it override the larger radius object without a hole in it, so combined it makes a ring shape? 

Or, perhaps there's a better way to make this ring shape?  Of course, this coil surrounds a bunch of components on a PCB, so when finished, the coil 3D view has to "reveal" all of the details on the PCB in the center of the coil (components, silkscreen, etc.)

Regards,

Who
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,724 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Who_Knew

Hi Who,

I am not sure if this is what you want to do but have a look at the attached file.  I placed two circles on the 3D top layer, one is  12.13 mm and the other for 11.13 mm.  The inner circle, I set the height equal to the outer circle and I checked the "hole" radio button, also under the "Material" tab, I made the inner circle color different than the outer circle.  When you look at the 3D preview, this component looks like a ring.  

When you open my file, click on the componnet and then select Edit>>In Place Edit to view what I did.

Tien P.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,718 Views)

I think that's just what I wanted.  Thanks!

Regards,

Who
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,704 Views)

OK, I applied the same settings to my "ring" coil, but it doesn't seem to work.  I've got my inner circle on the 3d top layer and it's set to hole.  I've got my outer circle on the 3d top layer and it's set to solid.  But all I see is a solid.  Does it matter which circle you place first?  For example if I drew the inner "hole" circle first, then drew the outer solid circle, does the outer solid circle "cover" the inner hole circle?  Anyway, thanks for any extra help.

Regards,

Who
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,701 Views)

On one of the top layer 3D circles, I had the offset checkbox checked.  This apparently makes a difference, even though the offset is set to zero.  I think I've got it now.

Regards,

Who
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,693 Views)

I've struggled making this work for ages.  Apparently as I just discovered if you have the offset box checked for the 'hole', you also have to check it for the body part, and visa versa.  Even if the offsets are zero.  Of course you have to check both if either is non-zero.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,525 Views)