Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TTL Symbol

I am trying to draw and copy a simple diagram for my lab work. I need to use the SN 74LSO4 Hex Inverter gate. This gate has six inputs and six output. I want to get the  symbol that will have the six inputs and six outputs on my circuit diagram. However, when I place this particular model on the board, I only get a one input and one output.  Is there any way I can place the gate on the board , such that all the 6 input/output will show.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(6,538 Views)
The component you are talking about (the Hex Inverter) is a multi-section component - so it splits up an IC into the number of gates/devices that are actually available on a chip. So in the case of the 74LS that you are looking at each inverter symbol you put down represents the A - F sections of the IC (or the full 12 pin device that you are used to). When such a device is translated to a PCB layout tool like Ultiboard the connections between these 6 seperate devices are combined to create the single IC design that you would see in the real world. The multi-section components are just a nice feature to simplify a schematic with single gates.

If you need the IC chip to simulate in Multisim I would recommend against creating the 12 pin (6 in/out) symbol simply because you would have to recreate some of the SPICE model for it to simulate properly (which does sometimes take a bit of work particularly if you are not a SPICE expert).

If however you only require a symbol which represents this inverter (but you do not want it to simulate) you can easily create a new component simply to unify the lab design and your schematic layout. To do this:

1.) Go to Tools>>Component Wizard
2.) Create a "Layout Only (footprint)" symbol
3.) In Step 2 when asked to enter a footprint, either use the actual footprint associated with that part (the NO14 for the 74LS04N) or simply type DUMMY to create a component with no footprint.
4.) In Step 3 define the symbol to look how you wish with the Edit Symbol button

For more details on this you can also check out the component creation tutorial @: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/conceptd.nsf/webmain/897FBC1CA3296F088625712B0034BEE9

Message Edited by Bhavesh - EWB on 09-11-2006 01:17 PM

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(6,521 Views)