Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symbol pins do not match my subcircuit's I/O pins

I am having an issue where the pin names of my subcircuit symbol do not correspond to the name of the pin in my subcircuit.

I've attached an image of the problem I am seeing.

The pin I/Os are something I'd expect to work right out of the package. Perhaps I am not doing something correctly? I tried to update with the Tools->Update HB/SC Symbols but it didn't change.

I am evaluating this software and am hoping to switch to it because the current system we are using has lots of bugs. I am using Proteus for my work right now, but I am hitting limitations with it, and was hoping to moving to a more professional package would mean better software stability. I am just running into bugs like this here and there which is making me a little unsure about my decision to change our EDA package.

Also, how long is it before these issues would be resolved by NI? With Proteus they usually release an update every few weeks to resolve issues.

Any suggestions/updates?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,034 Views)

Hi Kerms,

Could you please attach the circuit that contains that subcircuit if possible, so I can look into it further.

Thanks,

M.I.
National Instruments
EWB Group.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,017 Views)
Hi yes I should have posted this earlier. Please let me know if there are some easy ways to correct this. FYI this was originally created with 10.0 but I just got 10.0.1. The still seems to be messed up in 10.0.1 so maybe I did something wrong to cause this to happen?

One of the things I did was copy and paste the connectors rather than placing new ones.

Also I am having a problem with copy-pasteing a vcc line. I have a vcc net labeled v3 that is 3.3 volts (confusing right? multisim won't let me lable it v3.3)  but when i copy paste it, it auto renames to vcc @ 5v. Why is this? maybe I need a new thread for this seperate problem?

One more quick question. When I redownloaded 10.0.1 it keeps bugged me again about activate or evaluate. I am using an eval version, but I am wondering if every patch, will I need to activate? And what is the policy regarding updates? If I want to run on a desktop and laptop can I use one licence and activate on both? Does running in eval mode limit the program?

I remember a problem I had with Discreet (now Autodesk) where 3dsmax would not activate, and I had to wait over a extended holiday period to get techenical support. What was problematic was that since I had already been using the product prior to that (activated), I no longer had the chance to run it in evaluation mode (aparently their 30 day mode ticks away even after the program has been activated), so I could not use the program. They have since corrected the problem via a fairly comprehensive auto activation online with support 24/7 but I am wondering if NI's package may suffer from the same issues.

Thanks for the info.

Message Edited by Kerms on 12-11-2007 12:28 PM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,000 Views)

I have an option for you to try. I am hoping you saved the orginal schematic of the internal connections for the subcircuit block or this won't work. Delete your current subcircuit from the schematic. Goto PLACE>Hierarchy Block from File. Browse to where you hopefully saved the original schematic and click on it. This should place a new subcircuit on the schematic with all the lines labeled correctly.

What I don't understand is the copy a paste thing you mentioned. With a subcircuit the lines are automatically labeled when it is created and you shouldn't have to do anything with it. As long as you have the original schematic saved you can place subcircuits or hierarchy blocks in any print without having to cut and paste.

I hope this helps. 

Kittmaster's Component Database
http://ni.kittmaster.com

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,990 Views)
Thanks for the reply lacy, what is the difference between a HB and a SC? I'm coming from Proteus where we only have the notion of subcircuits.

Message Edited by Kerms on 12-11-2007 08:21 PM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,988 Views)

The basic difference between an SC and an HB is that the SC is stored within the circuit file and an HB is stored as a seperate file. This makes it easy for a user to use the HB in other designs as well, whereas the SC is tied to a specific design.

Hope that answers your question.

M.I.
National Instruments
EWB Group.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,980 Views)
M.I. is correct. There only difference is as he explained. I prefer the hierarchy blocks because of the reusabilty of the same circuit from design to design For me Hierarchy block just seem simpler to use as you can break a project down into individual schematics and then tie them together on a main schematic as "subcircuits" . It really boils down to preference and what your comfortable with using.
Kittmaster's Component Database
http://ni.kittmaster.com

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,972 Views)

"The basic difference between an SC and an HB is that the SC is stored within the circuit file and an HB is stored as a seperate file. This makes it easy for a user to use the HB in other designs as well, whereas the SC is tied to a specific design."

I have found that a subcircuit can be created, edited for pin names (can't seem to get the pin orientation thing down yet though), and then copied to the clipboard.  Then another circuit can be brought up and the copied subcircuit "pasted as subcircuit" in that new circuit.  Be prepared though, because the windows do a lot of funky things before you finally end up with the outline of the subcircuit in the intended circuit -- it's kinda scary the first few times around.  Then, if you want to use the subcircuit again and you use the same identifier, you also get the option of pasting another instance.  I just did this because I needed the 74hc193 counter, but the Multisim model has a small error -- I just created the chip via the databook and made it a subcircuit.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,389 Views)