From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting gate driver for smps

I'm trying to design and build a smps that has a 120VAC input with a 5VDC (2 Amp) output and this is what I have designed for it so far. I was thinking of having a pic18f4685 to do the pwm to drive the gate of my mosfet. According to my simulation results I need 18V ~42% Duty Cycle at 400KHz in order to have the buck converter work correctly. I'm having trouble picking out a gate driver that works with my design. Can anyone recommend a through hole ic that I can use on a breadboard to test out? Is there any ic's that do feedback also so that I can possibly eliminate using a pic chip? I can't buy a complete buck converter ic for my project and it has to be custom. Just trying to build the easier smps possible without buying an ic that does everything! I appreciate all the input. If you have some schematic of a simple buck converter laying around that isn't just an ic please share it.

The transformer is a 120V:12V in the design.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,898 Views)

Hello,

There are several MOSFET Drivers in Multisim, but none is through hole. I know very little about circuit design, but did a quick search and I am wondering whether you can create the PWM with an LM555 (there's a lot of content in the web about how to do that) or similar and take its output through an amp to provide enough juice for the power MOSFET.

Camilo V.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,854 Views)