From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming a .bit file with Multisim 2012 PLTW tools.

In prior releases of the Multisim tool set for PLTW we had the ability to program a saved BIT file into an FPGA on the DLB without recompiling.  I can't find that capability any longer now that IMPACT seems to have been subsumed into Multisim.

How do we program a bit file now without having to recompile?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(4,317 Views)

Hi,

Could you post your design so I could take a look? We haven't removed any functionality, so there must be something special in this case.

Note: automated programming (including generating a bit file) is only possible if you use a configuration file to create your design, and the configuration file contains information for automated programming.

Garret
Senior Software Developer
National Instruments
Circuit Design Community and Blog

If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved or give a kudo. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(4,280 Views)

Garret, thanks but this doesn't have anything to do with the design itself, but rather with the tool configuration we're supplied in the 2012 release for Project Lead the Way.

Previously I was able to open IMPACT and program any bit file onto the FPGA of the Digital Logic Board.

Now that's all hidden and while I can still create a bit file using the transfer process in multisim 12, I can't find a way to get that .bit file onto the Digital Logic Board without repeating the compilation process that ends with "automagically" programming the FPGA.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(4,274 Views)

Hi,

Ok, now I understand better. Once you generate the bit file from Multisim:

1. Open iMPACT directly

2. Initialize the JTAG chain (and any other actions so that the FPGA shows up in iMPACT, I don't remember these off the top of my head)

3. Right click on the FPGA, and select to choose the file to program with. Select the bit file

4. Download, program, etc

I don't have iMPACT or a board in from of me to give precise steps, but this is the basic procedure.

Garret
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(4,271 Views)

OK, so I think you've answered my question indirectly.  The problem is that we no longer have access to impact in the PLTW configuration.  I guess they don't think we need to be able to program bit files. 

I thought perhaps there was some way to get this done through the multisim "transfer" process but it doesn't sound like there is.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(4,269 Views)

I don't know what the configuration looks like, but iMPACT must exist, even if you can't see it in the Windows Start menu. If you can access the executable, then you can run it directly.

The installation path depends on the version, but iMPACT is usually installed to C:\Xilinx\VERSION\ISE_DS\ISE\bin\nt\impact.exe

Garret
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,258 Views)