Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in Ultiboard with SOT-223

Hello, I use a LM2937 in NI Multisim defined with a SOT-223 footprint.

The footprint is defined like that:

When I transfer the schematic to Ultiboard, I get the following error:

How to solve the error ?

Thanks,
Regards,
Alain
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,690 Views)
I get the same results from other parts that use the same footprint. I do not know how to correct this other than selecting a different footprint. This is defenitely a problem with the footprint or something is not being transmitted to Ultiboard from Multisim because it is Multisim that defines the pin mapping.
Kittmaster's Component Database
http://ni.kittmaster.com

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,676 Views)

Ok,

I'll try to redesign the SOT223 footprint if I have time.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,665 Views)

Alain,

This is indeed a problem with the footprint. As you can see on the picture you attached, the standard pinout is: "1;2;3;4;", but the Ultiboard pinout is: "B;C;E;C1;" which is the root of the problem.

You do not need to redo the whole footprint, what you can do, from that same window you just attached... Copy the footprint to your user database so you can modify it. In your User database, select the component, scroll right until you see the Ultiboard Pinout column and with the mouse pointer just click that cell, change the contents to: "1;2;3;4;" without the quotes. You will need to save the component with a different name so it won't match the one in the master database. Select this new footprint for your component.

Nestor
Message 4 of 9
(4,654 Views)

Hi Nestor,

I have a question about this. I followed your procedure and it worked, but this is being done (if I am correct) from the spreadsheet. Is there another way to do this other than from the spreadsheet?

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,647 Views)

Nevermind my last question. After I posted it I found a way to accomplish this through the PROPERTIES> EDIT COMPONENT IN DB option. I was curious about this because I know there are users that may not have all the spreadsheet options that are in the Power Pro version. So now these users that encounter this will have a way of correcting this if they run into it. If you have a better option than this please let us know. The spreadsheet edit method is the simplest way to do this if you have that option.

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,645 Views)

Ok, thanks a lot for the infos.

Regards,

Alain

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,620 Views)

Hello,

There are a lot of mistakes in the multimis/ultiboard master database components. Why this database is protected ? If you really want to protect it, why don't you update, every time  you heard  a problem, you database ?

For example I use you 2N7002 part (this is a very common mosfet). I received my board and nothing work. Pin 1 and 2 of this part are switch. I needed to pay new prototypes board because of this error.

Any suggestion ?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,599 Views)

The database is protected so that you don't accidentally erase components (I think this is a good thing except when it comes to interactive components that can't be edited), but you can edit the footprints/components as outlined in this thread. These are saved to your user database and you shouldn't have to re-edit them again if you select them from there.

One suggestion I would recommend to everyone. When doing your design always have the datasheets close by for the components that you are using. This way you can be sure everything is as it should be electrically and physically (footprint) and always triple check your work before sending it anywhere. This may sound harsh, but it will save headaches and money in the long run.

This is my bit of advice for the day I hope this helps and doesn't offend anyone.

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,596 Views)