Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Print layers SEPERATELY on single sheet?

I print out my layers on clear acetate to work out any problems before having my boards fabricated...

When I work with small boards- is there any way I can print out the layers beside each other on the same page, rather than on top of each other?

I want to save the acetate- its stupidly expensive and its very wasteful printing them on seperate pages. The acetate actually works out about the same as the cost of fabricating the single the layer in copper- I've either got a good fabricator or a poor office supplier (or both Smiley Very Happy)

Any ideas?

On a side note- if I wanted to print the same layer multiple times on the same sheet...possible?

Thanks again.

-DAlmation.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,363 Views)

This can be done, but not from any Ultiboard setting that I can find. Your printer would have to be able to print more than one page per sheet. You would have to go into your printer set-up in the top right box and set it up there if it is capable of this. Make sure you have "print layers on sepate sheets" still checked if you decide to try this.

My printer is capable of printing multiple pages on one sheet, but there is a major drawback to this technique. In order to compress multiple pages onto one sheet my printer shrinks each page down in order to make them all fit into the space allocated which in my test prints was 8.5in X 11in. So in essence what you get is a shrunken print that may be reduced as much as 50% if not more depending upon how many layers are on one sheet.

I don't know if that shrinkage aspect of this technique would be suitable for you application or not.

Kittmaster's Component Database
http://ni.kittmaster.com

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,358 Views)
As far as the single layer multiple times I have not found a way of doing that even with my printer settings that would be acceptable.

If your design is not as large as the sheet you are using, then it may be possible to turn the page around and print it from the "bottom up". The only thing I see is that a possible convergence of the two if they over run each other and I know that wouldn't be acceptable. Also, the second copy will be flipped vertically from the first one. I can only see maybe getting two copies on one sheet with this method though.

You could maybe export these to something like Photoshop or other graphics software and maybe do it that way. I haven't tried anything like this since I don't have Photoshop or other comparable software of that type. This is just a theory that would have to be explored by someone who has programs like this.

Anyway, unless the NI team has a better suggetion, this is all I can think of.

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,353 Views)

Scaling the size would cause problems as one of the problems I find with almost every circuit I make iin ultiboard is the size of pads for surface mount components. I lay the components on the acetate to make sure.

Just yesterday I noticed that the ultiboard SOIC18 (300mil) package places the pads to the INSIDE of the package outline instead of the OUTSIDE. Totally unusable. Anyway- I digress....

I will export to 'scalable vector graphics' and 'print multiple images' in paint shop pro or photoshop. As long as I can get it to print 100% size, I'll be happy enough with that. I'll post back how I get on.

-Dalmation. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,348 Views)
I would like to ask you about that footprint. Are you sure it is a SOIC 18? I have tried all the one's in the database that I could find with SO18 or SOIC18 in their name and they look correct on the screen. If you wouldn't care and have the time maybe you could put the full Ultiboard part number up. I would really be interested in examining this.

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,344 Views)

Lacy,

It was definitely a soic18 300mil package (in SMT-->IC's).

The IC I am using is a PIC16F628A (soic18, 300mil).

The pads are laid out incorrectly- the pads in ultiboard are for a similar package with the legs 'tucked under' the chip (cant remember the package name), rather than gull winging out (soic).

To correct the problem, I had to 'in place component edit' and move the pads outwards (till the inner edge of the pads was in line with the silkscreen part of the component- if that makes sense.

I have attached the real dimensions of my soic 18 package. If you check the dimensions in ultiboard (using the ruler set to microns), you'll see what I mean. If you line up the pins with one set of pads, the other row is completely unusable.

Some of the 0805 size SMT packages have unrealistically small pads also- but thats another issue.

I'll get the part number later- I dont have access to the pc with ultiboard at the moment.

-Dalmation.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,342 Views)

The reason I was questioning this (not your knowledge on the subject) is because I ran into something with Multisim a while back where I wanted to place a 4011. When transfering I failed to notice that the footprint listed for this part was an SMT instead of a through-hole component like I was wanting. I had to go back into Multisim and select a different footprint there and then forward annote this to Ultiboard.

Is this maybe what could be happening in your situation? IIf it is, then it may save you from doing all that editing by selecting a different one through Multisim. Just an idea to maybe save you a lot of trouble.

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,336 Views)

Lol. Dont worry about questioning my knowledge- I fly by hte seat of my pants most of the time 🙂

As for the multisim link- deffo not- my entire design was put together in ultiboard. Never used multisim at all.

The package was the correct one- just the footprint is in error in ultiboard- not even a bug- just a mistake on NI's part.

I wish I could remember the name of soic packages with legs folded/curled under the chip body?!! If they are also called SOIC- then theres the problem!! -but that would be madness.

-Dal

-EDIT: The package I was thinking of is a "SOJ"  (J Leads)- this would have fitted the board.

Aparantly it is still a sub category of SOIC, as is my 'traditional' SOIC "SOP" package (as it is properly called).

-Thank %#&@ I printed it out and checked before fabricating the board!

Message Edited by Dalmation on 10-08-2007 11:51 AM

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,332 Views)

I think I understand your problem with the footprint better now. You needed on 300 mil. but the ones that I have found that are SO18 and SOIC are more than that . One is 350 mil and the other 2 are 400 mil. I didn't see that until I turned on the dimensions in the viewer.

Sorry about that, I thought I might be able to save you some headaches. I tried at least.

I hope you all the success in your board creation.

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,325 Views)