Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Place SMD "component" on internal layer?

I am for the firs time designing a 3 layer RF PCB (top, inner, bottom).  

The PCB is actually a sample holder and there will be a cut out in the centre where we will place a chip which will later be bonded. 

The problem is that there is also  "mezzanine": the cut-out of the top PCB will be bigger than that of bottom PCB; this will expose and allow us to bond from the internal layer as well as  the top layer (the chip/sample has lots of pads, so we need to bond from two levels). 

This is obviously non-standard which is causing me all sorts of problem with Ultiboard (btw, the company that will fabricate the PCB can do this; it will just be expensive...). 

In the past I've always created bond-pads by designing a "component" with SMD pads in the right place. This makes it easy to route the traces etc in the usual way. 

My problem/question now is that I now would like to place a component (my bond pads) on the INNER layer but Ultiboard won't allow me to do so.  Is there a workaround?

SMD Fanouts and THT components (with zero size pads on top and bottom layers) should work, but then I would end up with holes which I obviously don' want.

Any ideas? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,798 Views)

Hello tobiasl6625,

Have you tried to use "inner pads"?

(1,576 Views)