Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pin 4 from part J1 in net GND is missing from footprint Z

In Multisim, I replaced a connector component having a footprint with 3 ground pins with a new connector component having a footprint with 2 ground pins. After forward annotating this change to Ultiboard, a DRC design error is reported stating that the new footprint is missing a connection to ground. I can find no place in either the Multisim component properties or the associated Ultiboard footprint where there is reference to a fourth ground pin following the aforementioned component replacement. It seems that Ultiboard is clinging to this fourth pin somewhere. Not sure if this is relevant but the old connector had one ground pin on copper bottom and two on copper top whereas the new connector only has ground pins on copper top.

There is a post here (https://forums.ni.com/t5/Multisim-and-Ultiboard/Design-error-Pin-quot-12-quot-from-part-quot-U1-quot...) where the first reply references a KB link (Design Error: Pin X From Part X In Net X Is Missing From Shape X in Ultiboard) that is my pretty much the same design error I am experiencing, unfortunately the link is now broken so I'm not sure of its relevance. 

Can anyone offer some insight here?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,315 Views)

Hi  cbeaudoin,

have you found the solution? I have pretty much the same problem.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,502 Views)

See my response to NI tech support. Hope it helps.

--------------

Hi Paula,

We managed to finally determine the problem ourselves after quite a bit of head banging. When the connector component having three ground pads was replaced with a different connector component having two ground pads in Multisim and that change annotated to Ultiboard, for some reason (I believe a bug in Ultiboard), a vestigial net of the fourth pin was left behind in Ultiboard. A cursory review of the net listing in Ultiboard's net editor indicated the new connector had a group of three pins (two grounds and a signal pin) in the listing. Eventually, after combing through the net listing line-by-line, we discovered the presence of the vestigial fourth ground net that was a remnant of the old/previously-replaced connector component. Once that vestigial net was manually deleted the problem was resolved. The net editor isn't exactly reader friendly and that fact that the extra ground pin was separated from the other pins associated with the component indicates that something strange happened in the annotation. 

I'm not sure why the forward annotation from Multsim to Ultiboard did not remove this errant net because that net didn't exist in Multsim after the connector component was replaced.

-Chris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,496 Views)

Thank you, Chris

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,490 Views)