From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance with large projects

Just want to preface this by saying I've taken exactly 1 class in logic circuits, so I'm very inexperienced with all this. As a side project I decided to make an Enigma machine using circuits. The scope of this project is very large (at least for me), and the design has several thousand components, organized into many layers of hierarchical blocks. As the project has grown in size, Multisim has become incredibly slow, taking upwards of 20-40 minutes to save the project or place a new component, and getting constant "Out of memory" errors which prevent me from doing any more work. I don't think it has anything to do with my hardware, as I have a very competent computer and the CPU/RAM are not being used anywhere near full capacity.

My main question is, is this normal/expected behavior? Is Multisim just not intended to be used for a large scale design? Or is there some optimization/design efficiency practice that I'm just not aware of?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,671 Views)

Hello Glenwing

I am so sorry for that. Let me share with you some option we have to improve the Multisim execution.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Multisim-and-Ultiboard/Slow-simulation/td-p/680257

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,578 Views)