cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No footprint preview

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I've got an rather anoying problem. and I don't know what I did to cause this(otherwise I would've fixed it already).

As you can see in the title, I can't see any footprint previews in ultiboard.

This is not irritating when searching for the right part, but also when I'm working in the part wizard.

I've repaired Ultiboard and Multisim twice but that didn't do the trick. I've also to reinstalled it neither did that work.

After comparing the Global options and PCB properties with another(working, on another device) version of Ultiboard. I coulnd't find a single difference between the 2 settings.

Part WizardPart WizardPlace PartPlace Part

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,857 Views)

"This is not only irritating..." -Line 6.

"I've also to reinstalled it, ..." -Line 8.

I see I can't edit the post..

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,828 Views)

Hi Derek!

That's an interesting issue you face, I have never seen something similar (yet). I have some ideas on how to fix this:

1. What version of Ultiboard are you using?
  2. You said you already repaired Ultiboard. Does this refer to the Windows installer? I am asking because this process does (describing it simplified) only check if files are there, but does not overwrite existing files (that might be corrupt). NI Installers have an option called "Force Reinstall" that actually does this (Force Reinstall Non-Working or Corrupt NI Software). Have you already tried this? 
  3. Are the screenshots in your posting from a new, fresh project? Or did you already define any layers?
  4. Can you please check your database paths? It's in Options » Global Options » Path.
    ultiboard_2018-12-11_13-37-33.png
    You stated the Global Options on the "broken" machine are the same as on a working machine. Can you please check
    1. if all three files (prd, prj, usr) are actually there (obviously at least some of them are, as you get a parts tree).
    2. if they are in a folder named "14.1" (or whatever version you are using), or if it's a database migrated from an older version.
  5. What happens when you copy the database from the working installation to the broken one? Does it solve the issue?
  6. What Operating System are you using? Which version? What graphics driver are you using?

Ingo – LabVIEW 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, NXG 2.0, 2.1, 3.0
CLADMSD
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,802 Views)

whoops, sorry for the late response it's been quiet busy lately.

1. on the broken machine is 14.1 and the working machine 14.0

2. I'll try the cmd repair later today

3. the screenshots are from an old project, but when I open a new project the project remains.

4. the paths and files are correct.

the database is exported from 14.0 to 14.1. but the footprints weren't visible in 14.0 either.

5. I'll try that too later today.

6. windows 10. the display drivers does not seem to have any effect, currently at (amd) 18.12.2 but changing it to older versions did not fix it either.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,776 Views)

Hey Derek, 

Thank you for posting the detail. Have you tried #2 and #5 since then, and did they work our for you?

CLADMSD
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,729 Views)

Hey Kaiser,

I was booting up Ultiboard to swap databases, only to find out my Ultiboard and Multisim license have expired on the 31th of december.

I'll first have to wait and get a new license from school.

When I've got a new license I'll try the swap and reset and post the results.

Derek

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,697 Views)

I've finally got a new license.

The CMD repair did not fix it nor did the swapping of the database files.

Could swapping the Configurations file solve it? It is from version 14.0 to 14.1.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,575 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DerekLF

@DerekLF wrote:

Could swapping the Configurations file solve it? It is from version 14.0 to 14.1.

Are you referring to C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\National Instruments\Circuit Design Suite\14.[x]\standard_ub_[version].ewcfg?

Have these files been overwritten during the forced reinstallation? Probably not. If not, you could try to move this file (or the whole folder) into a different folder first, so UltiBoard cannot find them anymore and will re-create everything on startup. This will reset your configuration.

Not sure if copying your files between version will fully work. But you can try it in the same way.

CLADMSD
Message 8 of 10
(3,568 Views)

removing the C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\National Instruments\Circuit Design Suite\14.[x]\config\standard_ub_[version].ewcfg and rebooting ultiboard did the trick. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,546 Views)

Hello Derek,

awesome to hear this did the trick. Thank you very much for reporting back!

And yes, somehow I embezzled the config folder. The correct folder is  C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\National Instruments\Circuit Design Suite\14.[x]\config\standard_ub_[version].ewcfg exactly as you stated.

CLADMSD
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,535 Views)