Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MultisimLive End Time setting

I'm working in MultisimLive with a public Colpitts oscillator circuit. The default simulation settings run for 1e29 seconds. If I leave this as is, the oscillator starts running in about 40ms. If I set the end time to 100ms, the oscillator never starts running and the simulation ends strangely early. What gives? Why would shortening the simulation duration impact accuracy?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,986 Views)

I think I figured this out using my regular seat of Multisim, not the online version:

The "End Time" (TSTOP) setting is used in determining the "Maximum Time Step" (TMAX) variable. For oscillators it's apparently important to set TMAX to something like 1% of your expected waveform frequency, otherwise you may get invalid results that still converge. Since the math relating automatic TMAX determination to TSTOP is somewhat hidden and not awesomely explained, I think that setting TSTOP to something short got me into a bad TMAX situation.

This link explains the issue from Multisim's perspective.

Update: This doesn't solve the problem in MultisimLive. Even if I set the TMAX variable very low (1e-9) and the simulation takes forever, the oscillator never starts running. So there's some difference in the math behind the scenes between the "real" Multisim and the online Multsim.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,914 Views)