Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multisim Voltmeter Reading

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All 

Im new to multisim and was playing around with a few practice experiments 

The voltmeter reads 5p and 0.0135n, what does p and n mean???

This was when connecting a 74LS04 with a switch and voltmeter on input and output.

If anyone knows what 5p (volts) means on the voltmeter id greatly appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,568 Views)
Solution
Accepted by vjbharadwaj

Hi vjbharadwaj,

n stands for nano,  1 x 10 ^ -9

p stands for pico, 1 x 10 ^ -12 or 1 / 10¹²

Aside from being new to Multisim you also seem to be new to METRIC PREFIXES. Or are you really? I'm somewhat puzzled since you are a LabVIEW user.

Best regards,

G. Goodwin

Message 2 of 4
(1,530 Views)

Aside from being puzzled with

vjbharadwaj I'm now also puzzled why the tag pico was converted to Pico. Using the Back button I verified that I supplied all lowercase characters. The information page for this tag shows that it was used first in this thread. As a tag the case may not be important but properly pico should be in small letters.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,522 Views)

Thank you Goodwin

I really appreciate the help. I learnt something new today thanks to you.

Yes i am a casual labview user and a new multisim user but very familiar with metric prefixes.

However in my years of experience with various real world instruments, PLCs and computers i have never seen a volt meter or any industrial measuring instrument use pico and nano as notations. this may be obvious to a seasoned NI software or multisim user but baffles a simpleton noob like me.

I really wish this was in the Help section in the software to make it easier for new users.

Message 4 of 4
(1,511 Views)