Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multisim 2001 "too many parameters for subcircuit" error

When simulating circuits in Multisim 2001 with op amps from User library am getting Netlist Error message "Unable to correctly determine the nodes for the current circuit due to the following reasons:
        Too many parameters for subcircuit type lf156_op_amps_1 (instance: xxu3)"

or a similar message for whatever op amp am using.  Have tried creating components for several different op amps and always get same error message.  Carefully checked the Pin Mapping Table and the symbol pins are correctly matched with order of pins in model.  The only way have been able to get a simulation to run with op amp components in the User Library is if copy an op amp directly from Multisim library to User library and make no changes whatsoever.  But if do something seemingly minor such as bring up the Symbol editor and add a text note underneath the symbol then get the "too many parameters for subcircuit" error.

Am also getting a Consistency Self Check error stating "Error: The circuit it empty.  Simulation requires at least one ground."  Do have ground in circuit; presumably this error is related to Netlist error above.

Operating system is Windows XP Professional.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(8,595 Views)
There are a number of issues that seem to come up with Multisim 2001 when loaded onto Windows XP as the software was not developed to be supported by this operating system. Because of this there are a number of errors that do come up which are difficult to resolve such as the issue you are having with your component creation.

Although we do not support Multisim 2001, if you were to attach a version of your file with the components placed upon it, to this forum thread, we might be able to have a look to see if there is a more common component related error.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(8,569 Views)
Here is the file using LF156AH component from User Library that was created simply by copying same component from Multisim 2001 library and then editing the symbol by adding the text note.  This was the simplest thing I have tried that still demonstrates the error.  Simulation ran fine before adding the text note.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(8,555 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(8,545 Views)
I just checked your component in Multisim 2001. In the Subckt. statement Pin number 1 is not listed. I do not know if this is the actual cause of your error, but Multisim 2001 is real picky about its Subckt line. It has to match the labels on the symbol exactly or strange erors will occur. I couldn't edit the model to see if my theory was correct since I don't have this component stored in my database.
Kittmaster's Component Database
http://ni.kittmaster.com

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(8,538 Views)
As an follow up to my previous post, I compared the default LF156AH to yours. Pin number 1 is not listed there either, so I would assume that is not the problem. So I am not sure at this point what is happening. I will continue investigating to see what I find. If you find it first, let us know what it was.

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(8,536 Views)
Well, this is an interesting situation in Multisim 2001. I tried doing this with another component and had the same results. I just renamed the part with no other changes and re-saved it to my database and sure enough I got this error. I have no idea what is causing this other than just a bug in the software. Us 2001 users will just have to live with this unless someone does happen to find a solution.

I don't seem to have any problems when creating new components and using or editing existing symbols with new model information. This does suck. What if just wanted to edit one paramenter instead of using a completely different model? I really hope someone can find a workaround or solution to this. I am glad you broughtm this to our attention.

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(8,517 Views)