Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing solder mask layers Ultiboard 14 Student Edition

Hello, I just got Multisim/Ultiboard 14 student edition and found that when transferring to Ultiboard everything is fine and export to Gerber is good.  Upon closing and reopening the project in Ultiboard I lose both solder mask layers!

Has anyone experienced this behavior? Likely I am missing something, but it seems like a major bug.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(5,609 Views)

Hi Christien, 

Here is some information about solder masks. Check that info to compare it with the steps you are doing. Let us know if you have further questions. 

How Do I Add or Modify the Soldermask in Ultiboard?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/4BCA9F2D8810C34A8625722E00763F9A?OpenDocument

Regads.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(5,576 Views)

Hello, thanks for the feedback.  I cannot follow those step because the layers themselves in the Design Toolbox>Layers are gone completly.  I attached a screenshot that shows what I have for layers.  If I create a new file the two solder mask layers are there, but saving and reopening the file will cause them to disappear again.

I have tried installing Ultiboard on my school laptop and the layers are there!  Even opening the save exact file I see the layers on my laptop, but not my home computer... My laptop is running Window 10 and my home computer is running Windows 7, other than that the version of Multisim/Ultiboard is the exact same.

Today I tried completly uninstalling Multisim/Ultiboard and manually deleting the National Instruments folder in AppData and then reinstalling, but with the same result of no solder mask layers.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(5,560 Views)

I have found that once you activate Ultiboard Student Edition you lose the solder mask layers from the layer manager.  If you start a new project the layers are there and get the gerber files get exported correctly.  If you run the trial version the mask layers also work, but once activated the layer disappear.

Any help on this would be great, I am trying to finish my senior project and this issue/bug is making it difficult to make any board changes I am going to have to make.

Thanks,
Chris

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(5,542 Views)

Maybe it has something realated with the number of layers that the Student Ed can handle. For the Student Ed, you ca only use 2 layers. Or that Student ed don't have support for the solder masks. 

Check this info.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/5630/en/

Maybe you would like to keep working with the trail.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(5,527 Views)

Yes, working with the Trial version may be my only option for now.  There definatly does seem to a bug with the issue I am seeing since the layers are there when creating a new file - just reopening the file loses them.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(5,487 Views)

For me it sounds like the Student Ed doesn't have support for Solder Masks, because of the number of layers (just 2). 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(5,485 Views)

Then why would they be there when creating a new file?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(5,483 Views)

Because you have only available 2 layers on the Student Ed, if you use those layers for components you cannot add layer for solder masks. Because you only have two.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(5,461 Views)

I'm having the same issues now, did you ever figure it out? 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(4,616 Views)