Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Layout Reuse - Footprint/Schematic

Here is the background: 

I am trying to find a way to reuse a schematic/layout of a certain section of a board in order to cut down on the time it takes to design a new board. Currently I am using a PSoC processor by Cypress that has specific guidelines on placement of capacitors and other components for core functionality. I have taken the time to layout it out to spec and would like to be able to reuse the layout in the future. Unfortunately there seems to be no simple way to do this within the software. 

My question is does anyone know how to do this? Even if it requires that I layout the pattern again in a different manner that would be fine, as long as we can reuse it in the future. I have tried using hierarchical blocks and footprints with multiple compoents and some other things along those lines (as well as viewed NI's application notes on the subject) and nothing has been an acceptable solution. I can't believe that this is an uncommon request so hopefully NI has a solution for this.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Schultz

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,854 Views)

Hi Jeff,

At this time, the only way you can reuse a specific layout in different designs would be to create a new component which includes all the footprints and traces. Take a look at attached word document.

Unfortunately, there is no other way to do this in Ultiboard at this time. I will pass on your concerns to R&D.

Hope this helps. 

Regards,

Tayyab R,
National Instruments.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,831 Views)

I do this all the time.

Just select parts, wires, vias and other things you want copied and copy the section you want from your old design and paste it into your new design.  If you keep all the refdes the same in MS then you should be fine, if you first delete those refdes from the UB design so the parts pasted don't all get renamed.  Or paste it in first before importing the new MS file.  If you don't do that you will need to place the parts again, but you'll have all the copper and vias that you copied so that is fairly easy.

David B

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,820 Views)