Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing and exporting WAV files

First, I'm really impressed with Multisim. It's so much better than Orcad and everything just works. Awesome!

Now my question, I couldn't find ways to import/export WAV files, so I wrote my own conversion tools that would
read/write the text files (.lvm) that Multisim uses. It's no big deal but I wonder if I overlooked something?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,223 Views)
Hello Rich_,

you are right: There is no directly implemented WAV-source like the LVM-source.

There are two hints that I could give you additionally:
1. When using the LabVIEW-instruments in Multisim, you are able to get a signal from a microphone directly into Multisim (Microphone).
2. If LabVIEW is available for you, you can create your own instrument, that reads your WAV-file and makes it available for you.

How To Create a LabVIEW Based Virtual Instrument For NI Multisim

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5635

National Instruments
District Sales Manager
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,191 Views)

I don't mean to jump onto someone else's thread, but I have a question that hasn't been cleared up yet. I am having trouble getting the LV Speaker to output sound. I have a feeling it has to do with my sound card, but I am not sure. My sound card is a RealTek AC97. Could you let me know if my sound card is compatible with this?

I also have a question for Rich. Your converter program is real interesting. Would you care to share it with the people here?

Kittmaster's Component Database
http://ni.kittmaster.com

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,189 Views)

Lacy,

When you place the speaker instrument, do you see all the fields grayed-out?... just the Play Sound button?...

If only the Play Sound button is grayed-out then that means that you need to run a simulation for data to be passed to the output buffer... once you have sufficient data (equal in time to the playback time of the instrument) then you can press that button to hear sound out of your speaker.

If all the fields are grayed-out, then the LV Sound Configuration functions (which are the internally used functions) are not being able to configure your sound card, in most cases this means that a non-Windows native driver is controlling the speaker hardware.

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,155 Views)

When I place the Speaker component none of the options are greyed out. I input a sound to it for the time specified in the options and then I stop the simulation and press Play Sound and do not hear anything.

You mention that a non-Windows native driver is controlling the hardware. The sound hardware came with the computer and  built into the motherboard. The driver was part of the software that came on the computer. I am not sure I understand what you mean by this but if what you say is correct, then is there anything that I can do about this (I.e download a different driver or something)?

Just so you you kniow, when I put the speaker on the workspace and the option box comes up my sound hardware is listed in it. I don't know if this means anything, but I thought you would like to know. Also my sound hardware is a Realtek AC97 if that helps anything.

Thanks for your response and help

Have a Nice Day

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,153 Views)

Try the following, this is what I do to test on new computers...

On a blank circuit schematic, place an AC SOURCE configured for 1 V, 1kHz. Place a ground reference on its negative terminal, and to the positive terminal attach the Speaker instrument.

Open the speaker instrument and set it to 5 seconds playback.

Run the simulation and wait until you see that the timer running at the bottom of the window, in the status bar reads Tran: 5 seconds. Then STOP the simulation (don't pause it), the Play Sound button should be enable now, press it and you should hear a high pitch sound on the speakers.

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,145 Views)
I tried what you said to try and still no joy. It must be something about my sound hardware. Is there a sound driver or something from Microsoft that would work?

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,142 Views)

Well, if you see that the numeric fields are enable in the speaker instrument and that you can press the Play Sound button, that means that LV is able to configure the sound card... so, so far so good.

However, if you don't hear any sound... then I suspect that the sampling rate might be the issue or the Realtek driver that you may have. Try changing sampling rates, to higher multiples or lower multiples, and also check the documentation for your sound card it might give you some clue of the sampling rates (if any specific) needed. And from Realtek's website check if they have an updated driver.

Let me know.

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,135 Views)

Hi, Nestor. Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but it took me a while to download updated sound drivers and install them. This did not seem to correct the situation. I also tried to use various sanmple rates from real low to real high and still did not get any sound output from the speaker component. I am thinking that my sound hardware is just not going to be compatible for some reason. If that is the case, I will just live with it rather than replace my sound hardware at this time.

If you have any other ideas I would be willing to try them (other than replace my sound hardware). I am stabbing in the dark here but could DirectX 9.0C cause any problems with this?

Thanks for your attention and help with this. It is greatly appreciated.

Have a Nuce Day

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,126 Views)