From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing ECAD component libraries into Multisim/Ultiboard

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm evaluating Ultiboard for the faster creation of PCB layouts (we currently use DesignSpark but it has reliability issues). Using Multisim I can quickly design a circuit, then in Ultiboard create the layout and export Gerber files. Nice.

However, the built in database of master components is lacking most of the parts we purchase from RS Components. The RS Component Search site offers downloadable ECAD libraries of their components which includes the component footprint, 3D model, pin arrangement/labelling etc., which is fundamental to the creation of a PCB layout. ECAD can be imported into packages like DesignSpark, Allegro, Altium, CADSTAR, CircuitStudio, EAGLE, eCADSTAR, KiCAD, OrCAD, PADS, Proteus, Pulsonix, xDC Deisgner or XPedition to make the component immediately available.

For Multisim/Ultiboard all I can find are knowledgebase articles for creating components, not importing them, which appears to be a lot of effort, especially if you don't have a similar component to copy from. I don't want to create new components, I want to import the manufacturer's ECAD file and know confidently that the information is correct.

Is there a way to import these ECAD files into Multisim/Ultiboard? I couldn't figure out how to create this component in Multisim correctly, nor can I see how to import the files to do it automatically. As example ECAD for the SFH618A-4 is attached.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

Message 1 of 11
(8,183 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Thoric

Held a phone conversation with NI, according to the Multisim Product Marketer there is no way of importing ECAD files into Multisim/Ultiboard.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(8,142 Views)

Sad. Mouser uses ECAD also. I also note that the component library is getting old. I have never received or been notified of any additions/updates. 😞

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(7,497 Views)

That is one of the main reasons we switched to KiCAD.  Multisim and cosimulation are still great tools, but ultiboard has fallen by the wayside and if you are not a legacy user with your own built up database of footprints you are going to waste a lot of time fussing with Ultiboard before you realize you should have started down another path.

KiCAD is free, but is well supported with a huge user group.  Its worth looking into for people just getting into PCB design.

I really think NI should just make it clear that new users should not be picking up ultiboard unless there is a secret NI plan to catch up in the future.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(7,484 Views)

hello every body.  I just ran into  the same problem. I tried to import component's symbol and foot print into Multisim\Ultiboard from Mouser Web site. they do have a tool for exporting ( it is called  Library Loader) but it does not support Multisim\Ultiboard just yet. after chatting with Mouser rep, I was told there is company that makes that tool is working on including  Multisim\Ultiboard format into their list of supporting formats but it is not their highest priority.

I have visited their website(https://www.samacsys.com/ultiboard/)

. there is what they say -

Currently, we are working with National Instruments to streamline the process of importing our libraries into Ultiboard. To vote this format up the priority list please– Email Us

so I am calling all you guys Multisim\Ultiboard  users to speak up, to send emails to them , to let them know  we all are interested and waiting ,so they would move that topic up in their task list

website -

https://www.samacsys.com/ultiboard/

support email  -

info@SamacSys.com

I just sent my email .

thank you /

Michael

Message 5 of 11
(7,192 Views)

hello everybody.

there is update

I just receive response form that company - SamacSys 

that what they say -

Hi Michael,

Thank you for contacting us. Actually we would do this right away but are waiting on National Instruments. If you can ask them to speed up we are ready to go 🙂

Mark

so, I guess , we have to ask NI to speed up their end of the deal.

I am not sure how to do that .

NI reps, if you read that , please , let us know /

thank you.

Michael

Message 6 of 11
(7,186 Views)

Request to ECAD to up the priority sent.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(7,180 Views)

Hi Thoric

I've been using Multisim v14.2 (really good for simulation) and Ultiboard.  For my most recent project I had to create more then half of the schematic symbols, and also a couple of footprints/packages.  Far too much time is spent creating/checking/modifying the symbols and packages. 

Sadly I've not found a simple way to import symbols into Multisim, and I don't see NI investing a lot into Multisim outside of the academic environment.  So I am now moving to Kicad, mainly due to the easy availibility of symbols (from snapeda.com etc).

Simulating in Multisim is very easy, but trying to export a netlist into different ECAD package is another difficulty....

gary

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(6,694 Views)

I was needing some symbols and found this post.

Sad.  NI took a good product and are letting dye because lack of investment by not  trying to keep up with the industry.

Message 9 of 11
(5,711 Views)

hello rpdavis, everybody.

you are right but here is some good news as well -

you see  - the one of the biggest problems with MS - is a lack of combabilities with other ECAD packages .

but  it happens to be a good thing as well - it provides the designers with huge job security  - project created by MS\UB can not be opened\transferred into any other ECAD  and supposed to be handled by person who is familiar with MS. 

and luckily for us all there are not many of such people around. IMHO

with hope it helps 

Michael 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,095 Views)