Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get high voltage and high current with LM317

Solved!
Go to solution

I am working on a design which I need about 5 amp and 8 V output. I decided to use the LM317 for this purpose. I followed the circuit diagram in the datasheet as attached. As seen in my circuit diagram as attached, it was difficult for me to get up to 5 amp and 8 V. I tried tweaking the different values, but when the voltage increase, the current will decrease. 

Any help from anyone with related experience will be much appreciated.  

Thanks.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(2,791 Views)

"За деньги маму родную продам,"- сказал один из героев фильма (республика "Шкид") про беспризорников ...

-Редактирование моделей в вашем случае допускается?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(2,777 Views)

Yes please, you can edit the model.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(2,770 Views)

Hi Gbouna,

You may post the image (PNG format) of the circuit that you constructed so that others or anyone with related experience but do not have Multisim (Desktop) application might be able to provide any help which you will appreciate much. What is your input voltage? How did you wire the circuit? I (and many others) can't see it because I'm/we're only using Multisim Live (Free Subscription).

Since you only need a fixed 8 V output, you may also consider using the 7808 or LM340-08.

Best regards,

G. Goodwin

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(2,723 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gbouna

Ниже 10 вольт на нагрузке не получить, так как выполняется закон Ома 2 ом * 5 а = 10 в
Чтобы получить 5 а, увеличиваем

tipa_0-1634825227008.png

еапряжение источника до 12 вольт и Bf модели Q1

Message 5 of 12
(2,700 Views)

Hi tipa,

The input voltage is the first design parameter that came into my mind when I read Gbouna's (the author's) description of the behavior of the circuit, especially since I can't view the circuit created in Multisim. It's noteworthy that current-boosting the popular three-terminal IC voltage regulators increases the overall minimum dropout voltage. However, when I asked "What is the input voltage?", it's more than just about the DC value. If the circuit is intended just for simulation in order to verify the concept then a DC source is enough. If the circuit will be employed in real-world application then some other factors should be considered, for example, ripple voltage if the input is derived from AC source. 

I appreciate that you included an image of the circuit constructed in Multisim.

Best regards,

G. Goodwin

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(2,688 Views)

Спасибо за 1 кудо!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(2,679 Views)

The 2 Ω load resistor can be replaced by a 1.6 Ω resistor in series with a rheostat.

With an input voltage of 12 V, the 50 kΩ output voltage adjustment rheostat is too high and will cause improper operation of the circuit. The ratio of the full resistance of this rheostat and 120 Ω should be carefully determined to keep the circuit within operational limits.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(2,669 Views)

Thanks for taking your time to look into this. 

Yeah, this makes sense.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,643 Views)

Thanks for your response. 

Yes, firstly the circuit is to verify the the concept of current boosting with the LM317  before using it in a real application which is the intended goal. I will take note of your suggestion in the final circuit design for my application. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,640 Views)