From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a custom SMT pad?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I would like to use a Philips Lumiled K2 poser led in a design.

This has a hexagonal ashaped pad below the Led.

I created a footprint that works fine, my design looks OK

But I don't like the way I had to make it.....

Let  me explain, I have drawn a haxagonal shape, and made a corresponding paste mask and solder mask...

Then I added a round SMT pin so I could give the new pad a name (so I can use it in my schematics (pin5)

But there should be an easier way...

In the Ultiboard parts editor, when creating a custom pad, I have the possibility to add a 'custom' pad.

Then a window opens to select a custom pad from the database

(check the filter in the screenshot, it says 'custom pad shape'.) but I can't find any custom shape in the databases....

So, next setp, I would like to create my own custom pads, polygonal, and any odd shape smt pad,

And give that one pad  a pin name (attribute Number....)

How can I create such a custom pad?

Best regards

Johan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,918 Views)
Solution
Accepted by stressed_user

Hi johan,

so you can create a custom pad: Tools, Database,Database Manager.Select filter: Custom Pad Shape. Filter Parts: Createnew part. Custom Pade Shape OK. A design window opens. Now you can create a shape in any form you like, by  place shapes ( polygon or circle or...) Be shure the reference point is inside the shape. File, Save to database. Give a name. File, Close. If you now create a new part you can use the new pad like any other pad in the system.

regards gerhard

Message 2 of 3
(4,903 Views)

Gerhard,

I am using Ultiboard for a number of years, but I would never have found this 'path' to make a new custom pad.

I always tried through the parts editor....

You made my designing-life a lot easier!

Thanks a lot

Johan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,865 Views)