cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create a custom SMT pad?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I would like to use a Philips Lumiled K2 poser led in a design.

This has a hexagonal ashaped pad below the Led.

I created a footprint that works fine, my design looks OK

But I don't like the way I had to make it.....

Let  me explain, I have drawn a haxagonal shape, and made a corresponding paste mask and solder mask...

Then I added a round SMT pin so I could give the new pad a name (so I can use it in my schematics (pin5)

But there should be an easier way...

In the Ultiboard parts editor, when creating a custom pad, I have the possibility to add a 'custom' pad.

Then a window opens to select a custom pad from the database

(check the filter in the screenshot, it says 'custom pad shape'.) but I can't find any custom shape in the databases....

So, next setp, I would like to create my own custom pads, polygonal, and any odd shape smt pad,

And give that one pad  a pin name (attribute Number....)

How can I create such a custom pad?

Best regards

Johan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,914 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author stressed_user

Hi johan,

so you can create a custom pad: Tools, Database,Database Manager.Select filter: Custom Pad Shape. Filter Parts: Createnew part. Custom Pade Shape OK. A design window opens. Now you can create a shape in any form you like, by  place shapes ( polygon or circle or...) Be shure the reference point is inside the shape. File, Save to database. Give a name. File, Close. If you now create a new part you can use the new pad like any other pad in the system.

regards gerhard

Message 2 of 3
(4,899 Views)

Gerhard,

I am using Ultiboard for a number of years, but I would never have found this 'path' to make a new custom pad.

I always tried through the parts editor....

You made my designing-life a lot easier!

Thanks a lot

Johan

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,861 Views)