From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you connect a powerplane to another copper area?

In UltiBoard, I laid down a power plane, but have large areas that did not get filled because traces blocked the fill path.  I can't easily move the traces, so I would like to put a new trace on the other side of the board (using vias) to cause these blank areas to also get filled with a power plane. - The trace would be like a jumper.  How do I do this?  I've tried using the net editor to connect the ground net to a new via, but it wont let me.  Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,478 Views)

I don't see how you accomplished what you have. How did you create your powerplane? Did you manually do it or did you use PLACE>POWERPLANE?

The reason I ask is if you used the latter option it just covers the board with a plane completely and it usually doesn't matter about traces because it just "wraps" all around them. At least this is the way it does on mine. It may have to do with your clearances, but I am just guessing now.

I don't know if you would be willing to do this, but it may help us to get a clearer understanding as to what is happening if you could post your file.

Kittmaster's Component Database
http://ni.kittmaster.com

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,475 Views)

I agree- I had the opposite problem- it was creating tiny islands of copper between traces that looked really messy. If you right click on the poweplane and go into properties, there is an option to delete islands smaller than a certain size.

Could yours be set to a really high value?

-Dalmation.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,465 Views)
I guess I should have added that I increased my powerplane to trace clearance to .029".  This pretty much stops it from going between pins.  I need the large spacing for the application I have.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,454 Views)

I am not sure about this scenario. One thing that is an option, is to use the draw tools at the top of the screen and manually fill these areas with copper. They wouldn't be attached to the power plane, but it would fill these areas in if that is all that is needed and I don't believe it would mess up the manufacturing data, but I can't be quite sure of that.

If there is a way to accomplish this, other than what I have mentioned, then I can't seem to find it.

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,447 Views)
Thanks for the reply Lacy.  I would like it to be connected to the power plane.  I believe if I can put into the copperless area a via that is connected to the powerplane net then it will automatically fill there also.  Do you know how to make a via (that doesn't have a net associated with it) connect to a net?  Sounds easy, but I couldn't get it to work.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,443 Views)

You have the via already and you need to connect it to another net. I will have to try this out ot see what I may be able to come up with. I think it is going to be quite difficult to do this because even with the net bridge option it is going to require that the via have a net name. You possible could use the jumper option, but i really don't think that is something that you would care for since you want it done in copper.

Message Edited by lacy on 10-08-2007 04:08 PM

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,438 Views)
Yes, I have done that, I can place a via.  What I can't do is connect that same new via to an existing net.  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,435 Views)

Sorry about that. I mis-read your post the first time around and was in the process of editing when you posted your reply. I will see what I can possibly come up with, but it sound like it is going to extremely difficult to accomplish because even with the net-bridge option both tie points have to have a net. This would mean the via would have to have a net name and that is what you don't want.

There is a jumper option available, but I don't think that is want would satify you application if you want it done in the copper.

In a situation such as this when we have come to the end of what we know, then it time to holler at NESTOR to see what he thinks and what solution he may be able to pull out of his hat.

In the meantime if I come up with an idea I will be sure to post it.

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(4,435 Views)

Just a quick update on something that may be interesting. I have tried placing a via by itself and with a jumper to the power plane.

When I placed the via and named it to the powerplane net and then tried to place the powerplane. It still avoided that gap area like the plague. I then tried to place a via in the powerplane and the solo via. When I placed a via in the powerplane it parted around it like the red sea and the same thing happened when I tried to use the jumper between the two vias.

The point is, I really am thinking that it is not going to be possible to do this because even if you do manage to find a way to put in a trace in the gap it is still going to skip over it with the clearance setting you have.

I would like to hear what Nestor or other NI Team Member may have on this subject, because I think I have exhausted every idea that I had.

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(4,426 Views)