From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help can't figure out why the mosfet driver refuses to work

I originally built this circuit with a timing signal into a continuous toggle jk flip flop then into mosfet driver and mosfets and the circuit worked as expected no issues. But when I remove the timing pulse and jk flip flop and replace with lm311 and voltage translator ltp the fet driver stops working. I can put a scope on the driver inputs coming from the translator and it is getting pulses referenced to com but it's as if the fet driver doesn't see them or is at a different level. I'd start pulling my hair if I had some, any help much appreciated. 

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(1,070 Views)

There is no ground for the driver, pin 4.. it is tied to "com" which is -50V...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(956 Views)

My understanding of it is that it’s a floating well and it’s supposed to be connected to the negative rail. That’s what the translator transistor is for. It’s works when I build it. The get driver needs to be at the same ground potential of the lower mosfet. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(950 Views)

I believe that the driver model expects that the ground of the IC is the ground of the rest of the circuit. Its a model issue not a simulator issue.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(940 Views)

That's the answer I was expecting and hoped I didn't hear. Oh well. Tt's a fairly standard configuration for split supply halfbridge circuits, it's odd that this is the way they chose to model it. Do you know of any more accurate models?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(936 Views)