From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator amplitude value and rms value are switched

Hello,

I noticed that the value entered as amplitude in a function generator, and the measured value from a multimeter are "switched". Amplitude generator = 10V results in a measured value of 14V.

It's the other way around!

How to solve this?

I use a multisim 10.1.197 version.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,199 Views)

and your file can lay Multisima .. ???

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,183 Views)

Sorry but i don't understand the question.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,145 Views)

Hi

I think this is due to the Function Generator reading the values as RMS values, and the multimeter is reading them as Peak Voltage, so if you convert them you should find they are correct.

Thanks,

Sarah

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,135 Views)

Hello,

That doesn't seems logic. Generator voltage is an amplitude value, while the multimeter gives an rms value. But if you could tell me how to convert both signals i'am willing to try it and see if the problem is fixed.

Regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,133 Views)

It looks correct in my Version 14.0

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,077 Views)

Problem is solved by TI.

Instead of connecting the function generator between + and -, connect it between + and middle connexion of the function generator. Values are now OK.

Kind regards for all the help.

Daniel

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,070 Views)

Ah, I didn't even notice that. From working with real function generators I always make sure to connect the "-" and the "common" connections together when using it! 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,063 Views)