From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forward Annotation does not always work

When I try to forward annotate changes from Multisim to Ultiboard, Ultiboard does not always function properly. Many times it simply opens the file I am trying to annotate instead of making the net and component changes. I eventually get the forward annotation to work by trying it again and again. Very frustrating.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,671 Views)
I can validate this behavior. Most likely its not parsing the netlist for a related change, could be a variable initialization issue that corrects the 2nd, 3rd time around. Mine doesn't do it all the time.....maybe once every 10 times if I'm making a lot of changes

Signature: Looking for a footprint, component, model? Might be here > http://ni.kittmaster.com
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,666 Views)

Larson,

Do you make any changes in the Netlist Action dialog that shows up when you forward annotate? Or do you accept the dialog and click OK?

What version are you running? (Help >> About Ultiboard)

Is any specific change the one in which you see this happening? Or any change? (Refdes, net name, etc.)

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,637 Views)
No dialog appears, it just opens the original ultiboard file and makes no changes to it. I have the latest version. There is nothing specific about it, happens ever now and then.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,633 Views)
Ok, I'll instruct R&D to add automated tests to run multiple forward annotations to Ultiboard... and see if they can catch whenever this issue will happen. I myself have not come across it, but perhaps the number of times I have done forward annotations compare to you or kittmaster will be less.
Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,627 Views)
Here is how I made it happen tonight

I have a design and one footprint was not in my UB database.

I added the component to the database in UB, with the shape still with the X through it in the design area.

I forward annotate again from MS, the import screen showed no changes. I understand why > it sees the original part "placed" even though the shape is unrecognized.

It should have shown a MODIFICATION change to the component that wasn't there the first time > deleting the old X placeholder > inserting the correct footprint into the design area.

I don't think the "is no shape in DB" flag is being parsed correctly during a reimportation of the netlist whether it was changed or not. Since the UB database was updated, it should have removed the placeholder and reinserted the correct part.

When I delete the X placeholder and do a simple forward annotation, it suddenly parsed and ADDS A NEW component in the netlist box.

So clearly the modification routine needs enhancement or a flag must be set to parse unplaced/unrecognized parts from database calling of parts within UB.

Message Edited by kittmaster on 11-15-2007 09:01 PM

Signature: Looking for a footprint, component, model? Might be here > http://ni.kittmaster.com
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,617 Views)