From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Footprint Drill Hole Not Generating DRC Errors or Area Keepout

I have added a drill hole (for part orientation) to a custom part footprint. It does not generate DRC errors when I run a trace right over it. Is something so simple really still a bug in this software?

Drill hole through a trace with no DRC error.Drill hole through a trace with no DRC error.

It also does not keep the copper area from filling right over it even though a simple drill hole right next to it (which is not in a footprint) does. However, I will say that it does punch the hole through the fill in the Gerber export, so this is not a showstopper.

Drill hole does not produce a hole visually in the area fill, but does export the fill correctly in Gerbers.Drill hole does not produce a hole visually in the area fill, but does export the fill correctly in Gerbers.

I don't feel like posting separately, but I'll add here that the Solder Mask Top and Bottom for those drill holes in the footprint do not export to the Gerbers either. This causes DRC errors with the PCB fabricator. I'll note that the normal drill holes (the larger ones in the pictures) also do not export to the Solder Mask layers. Technically, this would result in drill holes that are covered in the solder mask material.

Any thoughts?

And no, I will not upload my design. I'm sure if you make a simple example you will find this issue is persistent.

(872 Views)