From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature Request: Skip Checking for Updates

Multisim and Ultiboard check for updates every time they are started, which seems to take a fair amount of time (depends).  This becomes especially apparent when something keeps crashing, or for some other reason where one or both of the programs have to be restarted several times in succession.  It would be nice to be able to hit Escape and skip onto the good stuff instead of waiting for them to check for updates each time they start.  Or maybe make it like a once a day check instead of doing it each time they start.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,839 Views)
Hi m3nth:

You do have some control over how often the check for updates run.

From the Start menu, select Programs > National Instruments > Circuit Design Suite > Check For Updates. Then click Settings, and select "Don't run automatically, I will check for updated manually."

You also noted that something keeps crashing. If this something is Multisim or Ultiboard and you can reproduce the problem (a particular file, set of actions, etc), please either contact support (ewbsupport@ni.com, you can put my name in the subject line if you wish support for forward the email to me) or post the file/instructions here so that I can try and reproduce it and ensure that the issue is resolved in the next release.

Garret
Senior Software Developer
National Instruments
Circuit Design Community and Blog

If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved or give a kudo. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,836 Views)
It hasn't been crashing regularly--that was awhile ago... I've been starting it up regularly though and having to wait every time.  Thanks for pointing out those settings, I'll definitely be looking those up.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,832 Views)
If your running XP, look at the event viewer in the control panel under the adminstrative tools to see if it reports what caused the crash in MS/UB. Usually if the updater doesn't reach the server, it just times out and continues loading.

Also verify that your device manager has all the devices with drivers and there are not "unknown devices". MS may be looking at the devices for all the other stuff it loads and getting hung up on an unknown device. I saw that in a couple of machines where that happened, changed nothing but loaded the correct driver for the unknown, restarted MS and voila, it started working.

Signature: Looking for a footprint, component, model? Might be here > http://ni.kittmaster.com
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,800 Views)
Just a note that I disabled the automatic update checking and it worked like a charm... it still gives the message starting up but skips to "Done" immediately and continues on.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,780 Views)